504 Fan Override switch

Agree. Did the same thing. Also ran the existing off/on switch on the radiator first through a relay so that the water pump itself is not corroded prematurely by a small current through it. Read that somewhere in BrUce Taylor comments re 504s many years ago.

QUOTE=Bob D;1630891]Tom
I think what you intended to do and the way you suggested to do it is fine. I certainly have done it on my 504s.
I do think that the 504 does seem to take a bit too long for the fan to cut in for my liking.
Anyone climbing a steep hill and then flick the manual override on the fan, it is like throwing out an anchor.
For this reason, no way would I lock the fan permanently if the system is working properly.
Bob[/QUOTE]

X

My 505 V6 factory viscous fan failed few months after I got the lion. I ended up locking the fan permanently and observed immediately huge drop of engine power. It was that high. I took the lion for a road trip in that condition and fuel consumption was too high.

I came back from the road trip, removed the mechanical fan completely and installed electric fan, connecting the fan to a switch on right side of radiator (just like in 605 V6). Ever since I swapped the electric fan in late 2011 till date, no record of fan failure, high fuel consumption or overheating.

I will do a video of how I did the conversion and link it here, hopefully tomorrow or next.

Ikenna351 - Monk.

Would the fan override switch work on a 206 as well? Or will the ecu be a problem?

I’d too, like the option to manually override mr Peugeot as to when the fan should run.

On my 205 I have picked up the wire to the A/C Compressor and fitted a dash mounted isolating switch. Appears to have not caused problems, (My fans are wired to both run together, flat chat). Been like this for about 10 years.

BIGR suggested a Renault 16TS 82 degrees cut out switch.
I have looked on ebay and I did not see the right one there. Stacks of Pug ones.
Does anyone know where to get one or should I head over to the Renault forum ?

My 504 GTI has a 505 radiator fitted with an electric fan. No engine driven fan. I recommend this setup. I'll probably do the same to my 504 TI.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

For the record the 504 2 litre when fitted with the Australian made radiator passed all tests in the Australian outback in summer without overheating in 1971.

For the record the 504 2 litre when fitted with the Australian made radiator passed all tests in the Australian outback in summer without overheating in 1971.

I've never had issues with any factory standard 504 overheating in any weather provided the cooling system is in good order.

With aircon fitted it's wise to upgrade the radiator. :wink2:

Me too. I've also never had a 504 overheat. The secret weapon is to make sure that the cooling system is in good order.

The 504 radiator was filled with water only at the factory because Peugeot was concerned coolant would damage the liner seals. Problem was, there was no provision in the service schedule for radiator flushing and within four years the radiators could be operating at less than optimum efficiency.
The bottom outlet pipe on an Australian radiator detached on a 504 on the highway. Renault fitted a new engine to the car and sent the bill to the radiator manufacturer.
The other problem with water is that where the car was owned in an area that used hard groundwater the level of cylinder head corrosion could be very high.

Last edited:
I fitted air con to my 504 must be nearly 3 years ago and still running the original radiator with the mechanical fan locked on (has factory shroud). Had no issues with overheating, however I have purchased a VL commodore alloy radiator which I wish to fit along with an external transmission cooler.

Need to find the time!

I removed the original locked up fan in November 2011 and ran only with the AC fan (winter).
Then, next summer I installed the 505 radiator with a Renault electric fan.
Never had any issues with over heating since then, taking into consideration that I have the 82 deg. water thermostat from the 505.
The engine is much quieter, fuel economy is around 9L/100 and the water pump should last much longer.