504 Engine Pipe

geodon

Fellow Frogger
I have a 504 motor in my 404 Ute project

The 504 engine pipe WILL fit (if you poke your tongue out the right way) but it is uncomfortably close to the gear change mechanism etc.

I prefer to use it as the 404 unit is a bit on the skinny side and has the "Y" much closer to the manifold.

Has anyone encountered "cooking" issues with this arrangement?

Should I consider ceramic coating to lower the temperature on the surface?

DSC04652.jpg NOT an answer to your immediate engine pipe problem, though slightly related.

504 engine pipes have habit of failing (Breaking off) at the pipe to flange weld.

I added a number of small gussets to mine after it broke off coming up the Hume MANY years ago (1978?). I added the gussets to a new replacement engine pipe and it has been there ever since.

Good Luck.

PS Yes this photo was hard to take! :)

A proper 404 one has a very long length to the Y, under the floor in fact. It is the 504 one which is short.

I have a 504 motor in my 404 Ute project

The 504 engine pipe WILL fit (if you poke your tongue out the right way) but it is uncomfortably close to the gear change mechanism etc.

I prefer to use it as the 404 unit is a bit on the skinny side and has the "Y" much closer to the manifold.

Has anyone encountered "cooking" issues with this arrangement?

Should I consider ceramic coating to lower the temperature on the surface?

If there is any chance of "cooking", I would err on the side of caution. It happened to me once but I forget the details. What might alleviate it slightly is a metal heat shield in between, but I would not rely on that at all.....just as an addition in case of a very slight chance of cooking

In the distant past I recall that I fitted the longer of the 2 to a 504 and it gave a nice performance boost. Win!