504 dream

87205gti

Fellow Frogger
Ok
I want to get a 504 again.

I had a 69 gl many years ago and I'd really like another one of them.
With the square headlights and the big square front seats.

Now I'm not a young guy anymore so I want to put some luxuries I'm wondering if you can fit air con into a 504?

I'd also like a 504 coupe v6 for it but that's not gonna happen

So I'm wondering what uprated engines people put in them
Also brakes !
I'd presume 505 discs ??

And any other suggestions would be great

It's a dream but I'm working on a 5 year plan to source a car and slowly fit everything.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs

You can fit air cond , the best solution is to use a 505 GR sump , its cast alloy and it has the mounting brackets for the AC comprssor , there is also a steel bracket and a front pully you will need.
Use a condessor as large as will fit and a good ( large ) fan in front of the radiator.
A under dash unit should fit on the LHS of the dash.

I may have the 505 sump somewhere if you need one.

Fitting air con to a 504 is not too difficult. I did this to my 72 504 a few years ago. Made a massive difference to comfort, especially driving around in a Brisbane summer.

As Rally said, you'll need a Series 1 505 alloy sump (petrol) which has the tabs to mount an air con compressor along with the adjusting bracket and also a double crank pulley is needed.

Then the air con bits - compressor, condenser, electric fan, under dash unit (under glove box - need to remove parcel shelf) and associated pipes. Making the bracket to mount the under dash unit took the most time. I also made a vent in the centre console to direct air onto me sitting in the drivers seat.

I bought all the bits and pieces from here: https://speedyairspares.com.au/

Then I just went to a local air con guy and he crimped the hoses for me then gassed it up.

I'm still running the original style of radiator, but I have purchased a larger aftermarket alloy radiator which I will fit one day (suits a 6 cylinder VL Commodore). Whilst doing this, I'll also fit an external transmission oil cooler. I've also upgraded the alternator to a more modern internally regulated unit from a VN Commodore.

I have not had to upgrade the brakes, just use good Bendix pads and stainless braided hoses. Be aware that the early models like mine only have a single brake circuit, so, if the say the master cylinder seal lets go, you will have no brakes.

I have also fitted central locking, tinted windows and metal external sun visor (I already had the Aunger external rear window lourve) I have also just fitted a Series 1 505 square port head and matching inlet manifold. This has also improved performance. I've fitted retractable modern seat belts in the front and wish to the same in the rear, but the previous owner had installed 6 x 9 speakers right where I need to mount the seat belts, so that will be a big job requiring the rear screen be removed and the speaker holes welded up.

I drive mine just about every day in peak hour traffic or down the highway.

Search using my user name for pictures across various threads

Good luck

There was also an Australian developed fully integrated unit for the dash of a 504 which featured 2 additional vents in the centre console. Sorry i can't remember the name of the system, but it was very neat. Cheers, Robin

I have a late 504 with that air con fitted. It's unregistered and, although I want the bits for a possible future project. I'm happy to supply photos, etc.

There has been an under dash system around for some time..$160 if my memory is swerving me correctly.

If you can find a private import they all had the trapezoidal lights and french seats.They changed the lights and seats on local cars about 73 to get more local content.Also you could get a sunroof and if you find a TI it will have all the performance you need.

Now AFAIK this isn't an engine people put in 504's, but it's the engine I want to put in a 505 one day.

The 2.7/3.0L v6 HDi out of the 407 and C5. Obviously those cars are FWD, but the exact same engine (but single turbo instead of twin) is in the Ford Territory. So getting a donor car or spare parts shouldn't be an issue. A smooth reliable engine you can take to a regular mechanic if you slap on the Ford engine covers, and can make enough power to turn it into a degenerate burnout machine if you wanted to (this engine made the same power as an LS1 when they put it in the Range Rover Sport).

Now AFAIK this isn't an engine people put in 504's, but it's the engine I want to put in a 505 one day.

The 2.7/3.0L v6 HDi out of the 407 and C5. Obviously those cars are FWD, but the exact same engine (but single turbo instead of twin) is in the Ford Territory. So getting a donor car or spare parts shouldn't be an issue. A smooth reliable engine you can take to a regular mechanic if you slap on the Ford engine covers, and can make enough power to turn it into a degenerate burnout machine if you wanted to (this engine made the same power as an LS1 when they put it in the Range Rover Sport).

Those engines aren't that heavy either, or am I wrong? think they're around 220kg - how would that compare to a standard 505 4 pot? Wouldn't want to mess up the handling balance

While many have considered fitting a modern ES9J4 V6 to a 504 or 505 no one has actually done it. As soon as someone does it, I want to see it and copy it. This conversion may require some big changes like moving the oil pump and sump redesign etc.

Using a PRV V6 with all the versions available means a bolt in solution with the correct transmission and 604/Volvo sump if the donor motor has come from a FWD car. The result is a nicely balanced car with all Peugeot or PRV components and the car can mostly be easily registered. I have converted two 504s and a 505 to V6, it does not require too much.

Those engines aren't that heavy either, or am I wrong? think they're around 220kg - how would that compare to a standard 505 4 pot? Wouldn't want to mess up the handling balance

Back in the day of my well spent youf, two strapping lads could pick up Ford Windsor 351 short motor or a Peugeot XN2 long motor.
Try that now and I'd be truly crippled!
:cheers: Brendan.

OddFireV6, convert the engine to a Dry Sump. On line parts and a remote tank/ filter that can be made to fit anywhere.

Bluey of course there a number of ways to skin a cat and a dry sump is a great idea to solve this problem. There is a cost component to this budget $2.5k for a pump and fittings and belts and pulleys. I still wonder why no one has done it yet.

OddFireV6, I do agree the cost is high but it does shorten the time frame. If the car has a finite timeline AKA Required for an event, always remember that "You can NOT buy time", then you apply money!
The conversion as to 'why not' also baffles me, the quality of current engines is way beyond what the average backyard enthusiast could cobble up just in driveability. OK the transmission might be not what a purist wants but a paddle shift/toggle multi speed auto would make the daily commute much easier.

So...how hard is it these days to acquire a PRV V6? And are parts easy to get? Will it mate straight up to the ZF3HP20 Auto?

The most efficient way is to find a wrecked Peugeot 604 because you will get the tri-matic transmission, engine mounts, exhaust system brakes radiator etc. if you are happy with the basic setup you can run standard 604 carbs which work very well if setup properly although not the most powerful option.

There is a myriad of engine variants because of the different cars that had the motor even in aus. At the top of the pile powerwise (non turbo) there is a 2992cc even fire based on a 3 litre prv with 10.5:1 cams and head work and valve train and cams, extractors and Autronic ecu that a bloke builds in Melbourne. These are expensive but sound great and pull like a train.

It’s up to you, are you serious and how much do you want to spend.

There are still one owner original condition 504's about but not many. The African trade has reduced numbers markedly. I once helped a man load two transporters of 504's from the one property including a nice full import with trapezoids. They didn't want earlier cars with the old type door handle being the cut off. Dealers could fit air conditioning on 504's from the earliest cars but unless the cooling system was kept in perfect order overheating led to head gasket leaks.

its in the plans

While many have considered fitting a modern ES9J4 V6 to a 504 or 505 no one has actually done it. As soon as someone does it, I want to see it and copy it. This conversion may require some big changes like moving the oil pump and sump redesign etc.

All i would say is watch is space (but come back at the start of 2021 ish to start watching).

i've got a few engines lined up to attempt this and plan on using a T5 manual from a ford, with a extension housing modification.