504 Door Card Retrimming?

Tom_95

Fellow Frogger
Hi all,

Like the vast majority of 504s out there, the door cards/skins have developed a few cracks in the upper black vinyl section near the window sill. Since replacements for these are seemingly unobtainium, I'm wondering if anyone has had much luck getting theirs re-trimmed?

Looking at the back of the door cards, it looks like the black piece may be able to be removed by a competent auto trimmer... However I'm assuming that sourcing vinyl in the correct 'grain' will be nigh impossible.

Alternatively, if anyone here has a set of front door cards, with the early-style tan inserts (horizontal line pattern) in good condition that they're looking to part with, I'd love to hear from you.

Cheers,

Hi Tom

This is something that I am interested in as well. My 72 is starting to develop a few cracks in the black vinyl and it feels very dry and brittle no matter how much armourall I put on it. Finding a good auto upholsterer is not easy. Maybe Dan who is restoring the 404 might have an idea here.

Cheers
Andrew

Hi

I got my 404 door trims done by a crowd in Sydney - Prostitch

Classic British & German Automotive Restoration Textiles

Their website is " Classic British and German "

I had the dead bodies, which I sent up with a sample of the vinyl with which I wanted them done.

They did a good job , reproducing them pretty much exactly

They back them on to MDF. It would be wise to ask for the MDF to be coated with marine grade epoxy before the vinyl is put on as, at least on the 404, the doors suck in moisture from the bottom ( not just from the top down the windows ) and the MDF expands and warps. Not sure whether this is an issue with the 504

I found them willing to do "one off" jobs and to apply thought to them. They were not especially cheap ( ~700.00 the set 5 years ago ) , but one can't get good work done for nowt, so shouldn't complain.

Am happy to recommend them - reliable, honest and good quality

Good luck

Andrew

Hi Tom and Andrew,

As an interim measure and depending on how badly the top black pads are cracked or starting to become brittle, try applying genuine lanolin oil into the plastic. Via a clean soft cloth (old terry towelling nappies are perfect) apply a liberal coating and allow it to soak in, overnight if possible. With another clean cloth, gently rub the residue in/off. Thanks to Bruce Llewellyn, who suggested this method to me, when looking for a way to soften up a hardening and creaking (when pressed) 404 dash pad. The transition was amazing. Naturally, results will depend on the starting condition of your pads.

As for the door cards, are the linings vinyl or fabric? If vinyl and you want to keep the original look, they can be revived professionally.

My 404 vinyl linings were refurbished by Lee Brothers Trimmers, situated at Albion, Brisbane.

https://www.leebrotherstrimmers.com.au/

I dealt with Warren Lee, one of the brothers. From experience, a personal visit is better than a phone call.

Within post numbers 124 & 132, on pages 5 & 6 of my 69 404 restoration thread, there is information on how the cards were refurbished and advice given by Lee Brothers. There is also some before and after picks of the results.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Dan

Last edited:
Thanks Andrew and Dan

I'll give Lee Brothers a visit as they are close to home. It's only my front door cards that needs some work. The material is all vinyl with the backing made from masonite I believe.

Moisture isn't too much of a problem as I only recently replaced the window scraper seal.

Cheers