504 coupe

Uffee

Fellow Frogger
I haven't used the term restoration in the thread title as that won't be happening for a while yet but that's what this thread will turn into.

I have my 504 coupe stored with my inlaws which is around 400kms away so it's not exactly convenient to play with it. Over the last couple of visits I've got it running quite nicely so this weekend I got a chance to let my 14 month old twin boys 'drive' it around the backblocks.

My father-in-law happens to have convenient access to a hoist so I put the coupe up and had a good look underneath for the first time in my 8 year ownership. For a car made of crap Italian steel that has spent the majority of it's 39 year life in England, it's surprisingly solid. The only rusty spot is where the chassis rail meets the firewall and that's only because it's been badly plated, I assume to get through the MOT by a previous owner.

A new chassis rail and it should sail through a chassis inspection so the continual see-saw between complete restoration and minimal work to get it on the road has tipped towards the latter again.

Great to hear that there could be some action on the coupe in the near future!

Front chassis rails are available brand new from Germany, and for what I consider a reasonable price. Shipping is the nightmare though. If you're interested in one or two, perhaps we can come to some sort of arrangement to get some shipped here in bulk?

Front chassis rails are available brand new from Germany ... perhaps we can come to some sort of arrangement to get some shipped here in bulk?

You're talking about Franzose? A bulk buy is a good idea, this area has also rusted out on my camper so I'll need at least 2 sets.

The other "they all do that" rust spot seems to be where the engine cross member mounts on the right hand side which this would take care of too.

Yep, Franzose. I only really need one LH rail, but am considering getting both just in case.

I find that the left ones rust out quicker, usually because the battery has leaked at some time.

Franzose chassis rails

Yep, Franzose. I only really need one LH rail, but am considering getting both just in case.

I find that the left ones rust out quicker, usually because the battery has leaked at some time.

Over the last year I have bought 4 sets (left and right) of 404 chassis rails from Franzose as well as many other 403 and 404 parts. They use DHL and Australia Post but send all goods by sea mail - you just have to wait and the period of waiting can vary. A shipment sent on 30 November did not arrive until early February. Their freight is reasonably priced though. I also bought some parts for an R8 from Mecca parts and they arrived in a week! Air freight obviously but much more expensive.

Patience and trust is a virtue when buying over the internet!

John T

:roflmao: Guess which rail is rusted near the firewall?

Roughly how much for a chassis rail, if you don't mind me asking?

For 2 X 404 chassis rails, in September 2011, the freight component was 31 Euro. I would guess that the freight for 1 chassis rail would be roughly the same. Go on their website and commence an order and that will tell you the freight cost for what you are ordering (before you put in your credit card details).

Expect to wait 6-8 weeks (from memory) though.

John T

For 2 X 404 chassis rails, in September 2011, the freight component was 31 Euro. I would guess that the freight for 1 chassis rail would be roughly the same. Go on their website and commence an order and that will tell you the freight cost for what you are ordering (before you put in your credit card details).

Expect to wait 6-8 weeks (from memory) though.

John T

:eek: I can't imagine freight locally would be much cheaper.

The lead time isn't an issue, it's probably more important that I stockpile parts before they're NLA before I get around to fixing it!

Agreed Toby. I'm ready when you are, if you want to do a 'buy bulk and save' type affair.

I'll get a left and a right front chassis rail, and a left and a right rear mudguard lower section.

I've bought stuff from Franzose, and found them easy to deal with and very proffessional - I'd recommend them.

:eek: I can't imagine freight locally would be much cheaper.

The lead time isn't an issue, it's probably more important that I stockpile parts before they're NLA before I get around to fixing it!

I agree about stocking up on parts before they are NLA. That's why I have four sets of chassis/buttress rails for 404s - three 404 in rebuild and one set for spare.

I agree with Wombat - Franzose are easy to order from and so far everything I have ordered has arrived (in time).

Cheers

John T

The car's been moved from the inlaws up to my place now I've got a carport for it to sit under. I've had a good dig and found the following [panel fit | rust | previous restoration]

IMG_8002.jpgIMG_8004.jpgIMG_8006.jpgIMG_8011.jpgIMG_8017.jpgIMG_8019.jpgIMG_8024.jpgIMG_8028.jpgIMG_8030.jpg