504 console lighting

wagon man

Tadpole
Tadpole
Does anyone know how the heater de-mister section of the console is lighted.
I am at this point in rebuilding my 504 wagon and was sure that there is a globe that sits above the ashtray and transmits light to all the telltale symbols. But I cannot find this light.
Anyone know how it works?

I am at this point in rebuilding my 504 wagon and was sure that there is a globe that sits above the ashtray and transmits light to all the telltale symbols. But I cannot find this light.
Hi wagon man,
I too am restoring a 504 wagon(1980) and have come across the light for the heater/de-mister you are referring to.
I have attached a photo showing the location of the light above the ashtray. It is located in the middle of two prisms that radiate the light out to the coloured arrow head lights in the front panels. The majority of the prisms appear to be painted black, I guess to better radiate the light.
The globe in the photo is not the correct one and is only there to indicate where it is located. I have installed a LED as it needs to be as bright as possible to go through the prisms to the coloured lights in the panels.

Hope this helps,
Ray.

Attachments

• 78BD8C2B-08EC-4FB9-AEEF-4A5659E316D4.jpeg
    78BD8C2B-08EC-4FB9-AEEF-4A5659E316D4.jpeg
    84 KB · Views: 80
Hi wagon man,
I too am restoring a 504 wagon(1980) and have come across the light for the heater/de-mister you are referring to.
I have attached a photo showing the location of the light above the ashtray. It is located in the middle of two prisms that radiate the light out to the coloured arrow head lights in the front panels. The majority of the prisms appear to be painted black, I guess to better radiate the light.
The globe in the photo is not the correct one and is only there to indicate where it is located. I have installed a LED as it needs to be as bright as possible to go through the prisms to the coloured lights in the panels.

Hope this helps,
Ray.
Hi Ray.
I've always wondered about the green surround on the lighter plug. I thought it may have a light backing but no. I have finally decided the light source is the uranium in the green lighter plug surround.:p

Wily.

Hi wagon man,

Hope this helps,
Ray.
Thanks Ray, I think that you are right. What I don’t understand is why I don’t have a light fitting as part of my wiring. I don’t remember what I did when doing the first restore. That was more than 10 years ago.
I will put in an led as you suggest. Thanks again wagon man.