504 clutch bleed

Creevey

Tadpole
Hey guys,

Me and my dad started to flush my brake and clutch system today as water contents was high but ran into a little trouble. Managed to bleed all the brakes fine however we are struggling to bleed the clutch (was working before flushing). We have tried a few methods like opening and closing the bleeder valve between depressions of the clutch and also connecting a hose to a bottle with some brake fluid in it but to no avail.

Is there something wrong with the slave?

any tips are much appreciated.

thanks Will

Last time I got sick of mucking about, got a largish vet syringe full of fluid, connected it to the bottom nipple and a single shot forced all the air out and it was fine. The slave probably is worn and they can fail but this should get it working again. The clutch cylinders are a 504 weakness.
I've no guarantee it will work for you but it did for me.

Last edited:
^ Yeah, that'll work.

This is a common phenomenon. You don't bleed them like brakes. I forget the exact reason why.

Top up the fluid in the master. Open the bleeder on the slave.
Now, locate the METAL part of the hose going from master to slave. Not the flexible rubber hose. Make sure the metal pipe doesn't have too many up and down bends in it. It should not look like a roller coaster. If you do bend it to straighten it a bit, bend it carefully so you don't crack it.

Get a small spanner and tap the pipe (and perhaps even the rubber flexible hose) along their entire length, to cause air small bubbles to join together, and then rise to the top.
Leave it for a few minutes for fluid to drip out and for air bubbles to rise. Tighten the bleeder.
Pump pedal a few times and suddenly it should have pressure.

If memory serves me correctly (it may not) :D:rolleyes:, once it is operating correctly you can then check it's bled properly by bleeding it like brakes.

Get a rubber hose that fits tightly onto the clutch slave cylinder nipple. If possible make sure the slave cylinder is rotated till the nipple is uppermost. Connect one end of the hose to the clutch slave cylinder nipple and the other end of the hose to the front passenger side brake cylinder bleed nipple. Top up the brake/clutch reservoir. Slacken off both bleed nipples and pump the brake pedal slowly. Sounds odd, but think about it!

It will work. :)

Thanks for all the replies guys. Will try the passenger brake to the clutch slave cylinder tonight. I’ll let you guys know how it goes.

Hey guys,

Me and my dad started to flush my brake and clutch system today as water contents was high but ran into a little trouble. Managed to bleed all the brakes fine however we are struggling to bleed the clutch (was working before flushing). We have tried a few methods like opening and closing the bleeder valve between depressions of the clutch and also connecting a hose to a bottle with some brake fluid in it but to no avail.

thanks Will
I always had to turn the slave cylinder so the bleed screw was uppermost.

Hey guys,

thanks Will
Use the system of connecting it up to the front bkake cylinder as described by Julian, also with the slave cylinder rotated to have the bleed nipple uppermost as reccommended by Tec. This has worked for me many times.

I've never connected the clutch slave to the front brake cylinder. Just rotate the clutch slave 180 degrees (after removing a small lock plate) to get the bleed nipple on top, connect plastic hose, open the bleed nipple, remove reservoir cap and let gravity do the rest!

Hey guys,

did the passenger brake to the clutch with the bleeder valve facing up and it worked like a charm. Thanks for all the replies very helpful.

Hey guys,

did the passenger brake to the clutch with the bleeder valve facing up and it worked like a charm. Thanks for all the replies very helpful.
Where are the photographs of the new toy? :) Find the thread "Post your 504 Here"

If all else fails just keep pumping, for a long time if necessary. As soon as ANY pedal appears the system will bleed itself.