504 Carburettor cable linkages in a 404

geodon

Fellow Frogger
IMG_2253.jpgIMG_2254.jpgIMG_2255.jpgIMG_2256.jpg

I'm installing a 504 engine in my 404 ute project

At first I thought I put the carb. on the wrong way but the engine photo on the post below re a 504 for sale proved I got it right.

However, I'm perplexed re those 2 brackets on the rocker cover (4th photo); they look like the receptacles for cables which can't work as the corresponding carb. bits are on t'other side. There's only two so are they for 2 of the HT leads??

Will I need custom made cables to work the throttle & choke??

The 3rd photo show the throttle connection lever. There's just a small bolt there. Should this be some sort of a rotating ferrule like the choke connection?

Yes that is the cable holder on the left the one with the bolt. The cable goes under and around the throttle

The cable goes about 180 degrees around a drum, which appears to be pictured in your photo. If it is not a drum, you'll have to get one. The end of the cable is simply pinched onto the drum at the cable's end by a small bolt and nut.....it fits under the head of the nut. No rotation needed, as the drum rotates.

You may in fact need to make up a cable and outer. Perhaps someone who has previously done a conversion may reply here.

The cable goes about 180 degrees around a drum, which appears to be pictured in your photo. If it is not a drum, you'll have to get one. The end of the cable is simply pinched onto the drum at the cable's end by a small bolt and nut.....it fits under the head of the nut. No rotation needed, as the drum rotates.

You may in fact need to make up a cable and outer. Perhaps someone who has previously done a conversion may reply here.

The first question to address is...
Is yours a square port or round port engine/ inlet manifold? this will make a bit of difference to the accelerator cable route.

I've done this conversion and used a new longer accelerator cable and a 505 square port throttle cable holder with circlip type adjustment bracket. This was on a square port motor. If you have a round port engine the rocker cover cable holder will most likely be the route. I prefer the square port inlet mounted cable holder as it means less fiddling when you want to remove the rocker cover for maintenance.
The manual choke will need a new longer cable that skirts round the carby to approach the choke lever and cable holder from the passenger side of the car. This would be the same for either round or square port arrangements.
If I get a chance tomorrow I'll grab a picture and post it.

Bon chance

John

For some reason I can't open the third pic??

Beano are you referring to the 404 carb? That certainly has a drum that the cable wraps around. It's a single throat unit. This one is a progressive dual throat with a stumpy lever inline with the cable attachment bracket.

I WAS hoping someone has done this conversion before and can shed some light on the situation

Beano wins the cigar!

The drum is much wider than the 404's so it wasn't obvious to the inexperienced eye. It needs to be wider due to the extra torque of a progressive dual-throat operation?

The choke will be simple enough but I wonder if the 504 accelerator cable will fit?

Surely someone has walked this path before?

The first question to address is...
Is yours a square port or round port engine/ inlet manifold? this will make a bit of difference to the accelerator cable route.

I've done this conversion and used a new longer accelerator cable and a 505 square port throttle cable holder with circlip type adjustment bracket. This was on a square port motor. If you have a round port engine the rocker cover cable holder will most likely be the route. I prefer the square port inlet mounted cable holder as it means less fiddling when you want to remove the rocker cover for maintenance.
The manual choke will need a new longer cable that skirts round the carby to approach the choke lever and cable holder from the passenger side of the car. This would be the same for either round or square port arrangements.
If I get a chance tomorrow I'll grab a picture and post it.

Bon chance

John

For some reason I can't open the third pic??

IMG_2255.jpgIMG_2255.jpg

From the photo I still can't see if it's a square port or round port 2 litre but I'd guess it's a round port.

You will need a new longer accelerator cable ( inner and outer) to reach the carby and wrap around the slightly larger drum on the carby. EAI should have a 504/ 505 cable.

The choke cable will also need to be a new longer ( inner and outer) thing with the pull handle...most likely available from supercheap or an accessory shop. (You could always use bonnet release cable and shorten it to suit the choke application. Also worth installing a rubber tube over the outside of choke cable to save unwanted shorts)

Will see about a pic in the morning.

From the photo I still can't see if it's a square port or round port 2 litre but I'd guess it's a round port.

You will need a new longer accelerator cable ( inner and outer) to reach the carby and wrap around the slightly larger drum on the carby. EAI should have a 504/ 505 cable.

The choke cable will also need to be a new longer ( inner and outer) thing with the pull handle...most likely available from supercheap or an accessory shop. (You could always use bonnet release cable and shorten it to suit the choke application. Also worth installing a rubber tube over the outside of choke cable to save unwanted shorts)

Will see about a pic in the morning.

Thanks. Much appreciated. I wasn't aware of the port differentiation.

Pretty sure it's a square. I remember the manifold gaskets came as a strip & I had to break each one off and they were square.

EAI??

Last edited:
EAI = European Auto Imports

Attachments

• DSC08240.jpg
    DSC08240.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 150