504 Bumper

Glenn

Fellow Frogger
I have just realised that the front bumper on my 504 is stainless steel. Did all of the Australian 504s have stainless? What about the earlier cars - 404, 403, and 203?

Glenn

505,s and 404,s had stainless bumpers, 403,s and 203,s were before my Peugeot years.

As far as I know, fully imported 403s had stainless steel while locally assembled had chrome plated steel.

Use of stainless steel for bumpers and hub caps was a no nonsense practical decision that was typical of the Peugeot approach. The 203 and 403 had Australian made chrome bumpers and hub caps to replace the French stainless steel and bolt on hub caps. The Australian 404 and 504 had French made stainless steel bumpers and hub caps which couldn't be economically made in Australia. The 404 wagon and ute had knock on Australian chrome hub caps.

Thanks for the replies and I now understand. Good explanation Russell

Just occasionally you used to see chrome 504 bumpers....they were some kind of aftermarket product which was fitted by panel beaters after a minor prang.

The 504 bumpers were one piece which made them stronger but some complained about cost. I hated cheap panel beater tricks of non genuine parts like the Asian made trapezoid lamps.