504 BA 7/4 gearbox oil

Doush_504

Fellow Frogger
Hello everyone
I was wondering if anyone uses anything other than 10w40 engine oil in their 4 speed boxes.
I've been using it for quite a few years now with no issues.

When looking for gearbox oil for the 5 speed manual 308, I came across some GL-4 spec oils (75W-80 or 90) which seem to have about the same vistcosity as the 10w40 (Liqui Moly) I use in my gearbox while having the advantage of being specifically designed for gearboxes.

Here is the liqui moly 10w-40 I use:
https://pim.liqui-moly.de/pidoc/P000315/1300-SuperLeichtlauf10W-40-37.0-en.pdf

And the Amsoil 75w90 GL-4 for comparison:
https://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g2077.pdf

Amsoil's cold viscosity is even lower, while having a high viscosity index.
Quite tempted to give it a try.

Chadi, Just use engine oil, 20W50 is the Australian (Penrite) specification. 10W40 works keep using it! Just change at the recommend intervals and actually check how much has drained out.
Oil is slippery stuff and gearbox oil has been known to migrate into the torque tube, as has diff oil or it just drips out!

:cheers: Brendan.
p.s. Remember this gearbox was designed when the only oil type was mineral. The only synthetic use was clothing!

Last edited:
The main problem I've encountered with BA7/4 is that the extension housing starts leaking at the vertical selector shaft. A weak point and you really need to check gearbox oil level regularly.

Chadi, Just use engine oil, 20W50 is the Australian (Penrite) specification. 10W40 works keep using it! Just change at the recommend intervals and actually check how much has drained out.
Oil is slippery stuff and gearbox oil has been known to migrate into the torque tube, as has diff oil or it just drips out!

p.s. Remember this gearbox was designed when the only oil type was mineral. The only synthetic use was clothing!
My owner manual says 10w40 that's why I use it and thought 20w50 would be too thick.
Do you mean I should use mineral oil ? because all 10w40 I can find is semi-synthetic.
To go mineral I would need to go up to 15w50 or 20w50.

The main problem I've encountered with BA7/4 is that the extension housing starts leaking at the vertical selector shaft. A weak point and you really need to check gearbox oil level regularly.
I also encountered that a few years back and had it properly sealed. So gearbox oil level no longer goes low.

How many Kilometers has the car / gearbox traveled, Chadi ?

Some Peugeot repairers here used to put in gearbox oil as the cars got older.

I am sure this has been discussed here previously, and I'm sure there were answers from members who know a lot more about gearboxes and oil than I do, but I have not done a thread search yet.

Chadi, if the 10W40 is semi-synthetic it will be fine. It is probably only 25% synthetic so no biggie (however semi to my mind means half and therefore 50%) and this from Oil companies specifications.

I don't think 20w-50 oil grade will have adverse effect on manual gearboxes of such era, like the one in 504s & 505s. Worse case, they become noisier (probably won't happen). But since it's mineral oil, the change interval will reduce.

Ikenna351, Lion King - Monk.

How many Kilometers has the car / gearbox traveled, Chadi ?

Some Peugeot repairers here used to put in gearbox oil as the cars got older.

I am sure this has been discussed here previously, and I'm sure there were answers from members who know a lot more about gearboxes and oil than I do, but I have not done a thread search yet.
266 k kms
I am not looking for "thicker" oil at all.
I am just looking for better protection & longevity.

I don't think 20w-50 oil grade will have adverse effect on manual gearboxes of such era, like the one in 504s & 505s. Worse case, they become noisier (probably won't happen). But since it's mineral oil, the change interval will reduce.

I think it would be too thick.
The reason I chose the 75w90 is that is has almost the same viscosity (or a tiny bit lower acutally) than the Liqui moly 10w40 I have been using for years.
But gearbox oil will have the necessary additive package to focus on protecting the brass parts (do we have yellow brass synchros ?) in the gearbox.
Not looking at all to use heavier or thicker oil.

The reason I chose the 75w90 is that is has almost the same viscosity (or a tiny bit lower acutally) than the Liqui moly 10w40 I have been using for years.
But gearbox oil will have the necessary additive package to focus on protecting the brass parts (do we have yellow brass synchros ?) in the gearbox.

Ok.

Though, if the 10w40 you have been using is mineral or semi- synthetic, the possibility of the gearbox seals leak will be high, that is, if the 75w90 you are considering to use is full synthetic. I am not sure though.

But how come Peugeot recommended Engine oil for its BA gearboxes in 504 & 505 when gearbox oil was available at the time? 80w90 gear oil was recommended for the rear differentials. So if gearbox oil would have served better in those 504 & 505 manual gearboxes, why keep recommending the engine oil for them from late '60s (I think) to the late early '90s (at least, the phase II 505 user manual indicated so)?

Oil leaking into the torque tube from the gearbox or diff eventually washes the grease out of the tail-shaft splines and they strip. Very annoying...

I recently bought brand new 5-speed manual gearbox (BA 7/5) and been wondering what oil to start using in it. The Liqui Moly Super Leichtlauf 10w-40 you mentioned you used is also available in Nigeria which I am considering. However, the oil description stated it's suitable for vehicles with high mileage (I believe they meant engine here). Wouldn't know if the oil will be good for a new gearbox. Is it full synthetic or semi-synthetic (the oil description is not clear on that).

The only 10w-40 I have found in Nigeria, apart from the Liqui Moly, is that of Castrol semi-synthetic. Yet to find the full synthetic. Also, I have no experience with Castrol oils and wouldn't know if they are as good as Total oils

We have Total semi-synthetic 15w-50 here (Quartz 7000), but I prefer 10w-40 which is not available in Nigeria.

The only good manual gearbox oil available in Nigeria I have seen is Total Transtec 4 85w-90 (API GL-4) which I intend to use in the brand new differential I bought as well. I don't think it's good for BA gearboxes.

Scratching my head here.

Last edited:
Ok.

Though, if the 10w40 you have been using is mineral or semi- synthetic, the possibility of the gearbox seals leak will be high, that is, if the 75w90 you are considering to use is full synthetic. I am not sure though.

But how come Peugeot recommended Engine oil for its BA gearboxes in 504 & 505 when gearbox oil was available at the time? 80w90 gear oil was recommended for the rear differentials. So if gearbox oil would have served better in those 504 & 505 manual gearboxes, why keep recommending the engine oil for them from late '60s (I think) to the late early '90s (at least, the phase II 505 user manual indicated so)?

It is semi-synthetic

I recently bought brand new 5-speed manual gearbox (BA 7/5) and been wondering what oil to start using in it. The Liqui Moly Super Leichtlauf 10w-40 you mentioned you used is also available in Nigeria which I am considering. However, the oil description stated it's suitable for vehicles with high mileage (I believe they meant engine here). Wouldn't know if the oil will be good for a new gearbox. Is it full synthetic or semi-synthetic (the oil description is not clear on that).

The only 10w-40 I have found in Nigeria, apart from the Liqui Moly, is that of Castrol semi-synthetic. Yet to find the full synthetic. Also, I have no experience with Castrol oils and wouldn't know if they are as good as Total oils

We have Total semi-synthetic 15w-50 here (Quartz 7000), but I prefer 10w-40 which is not available in Nigeria.

The only good manual gearbox oil available in Nigeria I have seen is Total Transtec 4 85w-90 (API GL-4) which I intend to use in the brand new differential I bought as well. I don't think it's good for BA gearboxes.

Scratching my head here.

I'll be using this:
1595066663429.png