504/505 spark plug connectors

I've seen the ones in the packet on the right of the first photo in some 504s. Maybe the late ones?

My 1972 504 originally had the bakerlite insulating tubes as per item 5 in the parts drawing above. When I upgraded to the series 1 505 square port head, I changed over to the insulators as per the 4 in the packet in your original photo. I believed these to be series 505 insulators. I've never seen to the bare steel rod set up before. Maybe it was a European thing.

Changing to the early 505 insulators has made a big difference to the performance. I did this over two years ago and the engine has not faulted since (touch wood!!!!)

I have seen all three types here in Australia....a few times each.
Yes, the early type ones were good as the bakelite was the thickest. However, having said that, my first 504 was only 9 years old and one or two insulators had broken down and were conducting spark across to the metal tube.
They also require a couple of slots in the top of the outer metal tube, as they have lugs that fit into those slots. They need this as there is a spring inside and the whole thing would pop up otherwise.

Doush / Chadi....I would recommend that you don't use the insulators marked number 4. Although they came out later, they were really very thin.

I mean REALLY thin. Ridiculously thin !

I would recommend either getting Toyota insulators which come together with electrical leads (find ones the correct length). They look like number 7 in the above picture, but with electrical leads attached.

OR if (for some reason) you really, really want to keep what you are currently using and ONLY get insulators, go to a wrecker and get some Toyota insulators, and cut off the tops. Then use the bakelite tubes as insulators as if they were the number 4 s.

After you have experimented by doing this, you can decide whether to buy new Toyota leads. At least it will cost very little to get secondhand ones from the wrecker to experiment with.

Last edited:
Thank you for the advice.
I did buy a set of these, made by Bougicord for late model 505. They do as you said and eliminate the need for the old fashion connector.

My only regret is that I do have in my car a recent set of 504 (also original Bougicord) wires which I did not want to throw away (I wanted to use them for one more set of spark plugs).

I had prepared myself by also buying a set of NGK Iridiums (BPR 6 EIX) with the removable nut to bolt to the old connector.
I'll just use them with the old connectors (which are insulated) and then throw the wires & insulators altogether with the next spark plug replacement.

1615458452672.png

Check out Toyota spark plug leads, same design with insulated tube to plug
Toyota Readily available in Autobarn, just get the correct length you need
Or
Just use standard plug lead, attach to plug and use hollow tube plug spanner to tighten.
Silicon plug to hold lead central and keep out rubbish.

I already have the insulated ones in my car.
It's a 1982 model so it shares a lot with the 505.
i just wanted to use the new ones (on the left in my picture) with the new spark plugs that's all. But I'll stick with the current set & sell those.
My 1972 504 originally had the bakerlite insulating tubes as per item 5 in the parts drawing above. When I upgraded to the series 1 505 square port head, I changed over to the insulators as per the 4 in the packet in your original photo. I believed these to be series 505 insulators. I've never seen to the bare steel rod set up before. Maybe it was a European thing.

Changing to the early 505 insulators has made a big difference to the performance. I did this over two years ago and the engine has not faulted since (touch wood!!!!)

Thank you Beano for your advice, much appreciated & well noted.
I'll stick with those since I already have a set installed (which I thought about upgrading since it's extremely old touch wood).

1615459387911.png

Next replacement, I'll install these

1615459479282.png

I have seen all three types here in Australia....a few times each.
Yes, the early type ones were good as the bakelite was the thickest. However, having said that, my first 504 was only 9 years old and one or two insulators had broken down and were conducting spark across to the metal tube.
They also require a couple of slots in the top of the outer metal tube, as they have lugs that fit into those slots. They need this as there is a spring inside and the whole thing would pop up otherwise.

Doush / Chadi....I would recommend that you don't use the insulators marked number 4. Although they came out later, they were really very thin.

I mean REALLY thin. Ridiculously thin !

I would recommend either getting Toyota insulators which come together with electrical leads (find ones the correct length). They look like number 7 in the above picture, but with electrical leads attached.

OR if (for some reason) you really, really want to keep what you are currently using and ONLY get insulators, go to a wrecker and get some Toyota insulators, and cut off the tops. Then use the bakelite tubes as insulators as if they were the number 4 s.

After you have experimented by doing this, you can decide whether to buy new Toyota leads. At least it will cost very little to get secondhand ones from the wrecker to experiment with.

Wots wrong with using the Chinese ones they look fine and well original to me?
Iv got some of the covers, ie part 5 in the drawing if that helps?

Nothing wrong.
I just thought of the original Peugeot part as an upgrade (better conductivity maybe ? )
Wots wrong with using the Chinese ones they look fine and well original to me?
Iv got some of the covers, ie part 5 in the drawing if that helps?