407 HDi Coupe - Oil warning light- Oil can,

Spurred on by a comment somewhere today on Wheel Studs, I checked my oil change mileage today, it was not 6 years, it was 7 years and 4 months.
However the oil in the engine has already gone blackish. The car has only been driven twice, a couple of hundred Ks.
Note: Our Transporter has always done this as well. Must be something to do with diesel EGR systems?
My every day car the 205 oil still looks like it just came out of the bottle.
diesel oil will go back just by tipping it in almost ...... The oil in an LPG car will always look almost spotless... as there isnt' the combustion by-products going into it.

OK, OK, come to think of it I probably let it idle for 5 maybe 6 seconds. Far more than 100ml of oil came out. (Is there an oil cooler there somewhere?)
Anyway I drove a couple of hundred km yesterday after "The" oil change. No warning lights, temperature gauges in usual positions and No noises from the engine either.
Must be just lucky!

Lucky is the least of it and there is no such thing, the crank bearing and big ends will suffer distinctly from this, they are designed to run with an oil film under pressure separating buffering them from the crank, I would be getting the oil tested / anaslysed for metal compounds,. it will tell you what the consequences are of your actions.

I came across this interesting video on Youtube about the DT17/DT30 aka Lion V6 as used in LandRover and some of its failure modes, then thought of this thread. The concerns raised aren't issues in the Citroen applications, but it is probably less stressed in the Citroen uses. Presumably the same for Pugs. You do have to be worried about two plastic thermostat housings, injector return leaks and internal wear in the HP fuel pump though.

This guy is quite the comedian.

He's also much better to watch than that clown John Cadogan.

More. LandRover 2.7HDI rebuild ... with a DIY line-borer.

Oh man .... I just started watching the first one. Those guys are hilarious :ROFLMAO: I had no idea the citroen/poogoe motor had that many issues.

I came across this interesting video on Youtube about the DT17/DT30 aka Lion V6 as used in LandRover and some of its failure modes, then thought of this thread. The concerns raised aren't issues in the Citroen applications, but it is probably less stressed in the Citroen uses. Presumably the same for Pugs. You do have to be worried about two plastic thermostat housings, injector return leaks and internal wear in the HP fuel pump though.

Hi.

Interesting.

I was not aware that the engine has been designed to allow two big end journal bearings to be lubricated via separate circuits from a single mains bearing. But with a phased 50/50 pulsating share of the oil supply based on the drilling in the main bearing to be aligned with the grooved upper bearing shell.

I guess the designer didn't want to add a circumferential groove in the bottom main bearing shell, as that would have taken away bearing surface area, from a bearing that is already under higher than usual loads.

I can now understand why he is advocating to use the -40 weight engine oil over the usually specified -30 oil.

Cheers.