407 HDi Coupe - Oil warning light- Oil can,

BIGRR

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Got busy and changed the engine oil and filter on the coupe.

Warmed the engine, pulled the sump plug and waited for slow drips, started the engine and run on idle for 30 seconds - more oil drained out. Removed and fitted new filter and replaced the sump plug. Added 5 litres of Castrol Edge 5w-30 Professional Long Life 111 and started the motor, Oil light came on then an oil can! Dipped the motor, no oil on stick. Added 2 more litres, still not up to top mark, so I added another 1/2 litre, up to the top mark. :) Started motor, Oil light came on then an oil can!? Dipped the stick again and (after dipping it in and out about 20 more times) decided it must have too much oil in it. Bugger!
I converted an old brass garden sprayer to a suction pump and took about 600ml of oil out through the dip stick tube.
Started the motor :- NO Oil warning light or Oil can and the oil appeared to be on the top mark of the stick. BLOODY FINICKY PUG.

You ran a motor without oil for 30seconds :eek: :eek: :eek: Wow ... why would you ever do that :eek: :eek: :eek:

It probably had no oil pressure for ages ... that is why you had the oil can showing. You would have emptied the oil pump. it would have had to bleed and start pumping again. Why woudl you run a motor without oil ... ever ... for any reason :eek: :eek: :eek:

You ran a motor without oil for 30seconds :eek: :eek: :eek: Wow ... why would you ever do that :eek: :eek: :eek:

It probably had no oil pressure for ages ... that is why you had the oil can showing. You would have emptied the oil pump. it would have had to bleed and start pumping again. Why woudl you run a motor without oil ... ever ... for any reason :eek: :eek: :eek:
Have done this with the 504 for near 49 years now. No load on engine and No complaints yet! Good stuff Castrol :)

Holy shit that’s what I thought.

There's something approaching 140 Nm torque even at idle from a 2.0 HDi . Imagine (or calculate - half stroke is 44 mm) the pounding on the bearings. I'd rather not have that last drop of oil squeezed out.

Have done this with the 504 for near 49 years now. No load on engine and No complaints yet! Good stuff Castrol :)
Hmm BIGRR :giggle:
Do not buy a Ford Ranger and do that. They have a 10 minute limit on draining the oil and filter to fill and restart the engine. Otherwise you risk the pump not able to prime and get any oil pressure !!
I would not recommend doing that to any modern engine. It is just not necessary to get the last 1.001 ml of old oil out.
I have not had such great experience with Castrol oil in the past and never used it since. :oops:
Jaahn

Just as a comment on this so not to appear holier than thou ! Back in the good ol'days in the '50s and '60s Winns and Bardol were aftermarket additives that were flogged by enthusiastic sales teams, at motor shows, around the trade and car clubs, every Service Station had them on the shelf. Safeguard your engine and it will keep it going if you run out of oil ??? (why) . We did have some connection with one of these salesmen. He was the rep for the region. Bardol I think and other stuff. Nice guy ! Indeed we fitted an R8 motor to a Dauphine for him to drive around in.

But he was happy to drop the oil out of his motor and drive around the block with a customer to show how good it was and make a sale. Did that often. So it was not just some old flat head six like was used for the car show demos. They had no sump and a mirror so you could see up into the crankcase with the engine running all day idling away. :approve:

HMMM so those additives did work to some degree and were popular. High sulphur type stuff I believe. Possibly quality standard new oils are just as good from the bottle.
Jaahn
Who remembers the motor show demo motor, old flat head six, with the spark plug leads fitted with pearl buttons. Idling away all day going zap zap zap over the buttons. I forget what the point of the demo was now ??? Selling snake oil of some sort ! :oops:

Last edited:
Hi.

It's your vehicle and how you treat your engine is your decision.

But I concur with others here, I would never run an engine for any time without oil in the sump.

Trying to extract more oil during an oil change by running it dry, is not going to achieve any benifet to the engine life. In fact I would consider an engine with overhead camshafts and more highly stressed crankshaft bearings running without an oil wedge will infact cause metal to metal contact, which is not benificial to the bearings.

Cheers.

Perhaps take the sump off and somehow prime the oil pump with fresh oil 🤷‍♂️ Nothing to loose except some mucking about time and it may help your engine to stay a bit younger for longer?
BTW, did you fill the new oil filter with oil prior to installing it (assuming it is one that screws on with the hole on top)

Perhaps take the sump off and somehow prime the oil pump with fresh oil 🤷‍♂️ Nothing to loose except some mucking about time and it may help your engine to stay a bit younger for longer?
BTW, did you fill the new oil filter with oil prior to installing it (assuming it is one that screws on with the hole on top)
Hi JoBo if that question is aimed at my Ranger statement. NO I did not have any problem because I know about the problem, but many old Grey Nomads have got into trouble doing just what has been done here. And paid a price for it at the dealers then. Applies to the Ranger and BT50 3.2 motor. I Believe they have revised it now somehow.
The oil filter is a cassett type not metal can type, and is difficult to get at over the PS front wheel behind the inner splash guard ?? So you cannot fill it with oil. To be honest I am not sure what you should do to get prime if lost. Possibly put another drum of oil in to get the level up to the pump then remove excess. They take almost 10ltrs anyway. The recommended oil is thin too, not thick and clingy.
You would be a brave person to start playing with a new engine like that by pulling the sump and looking for the oil pump.The pump is a variable capacity type to reduce parasitic losses !! o_O .
Jaahn

Hi JoBo if that question is aimed at my Ranger statement. NO I did not have any problem because I know about the problem, but many old Grey Nomads have got into trouble doing just what has been done here. And paid a price for it at the dealers then. Applies to the Ranger and BT50 3.2 motor. I Believe they have revised it now somehow.
The oil filter is a cassett type not metal can type, and is difficult to get at over the PS front wheel behind the inner splash guard ?? So you cannot fill it with oil. To be honest I am not sure what you should do to get prime if lost. Possibly put another drum of oil in to get the level up to the pump then remove excess. They take almost 10ltrs anyway. The recommended oil is thin too, not thick and clingy.
You would be a brave person to start playing with a new engine like that by pulling the sump and looking for the oil pump.The pump is a variable capacity type to reduce parasitic losses !! o_O .
Jaahn

The old rover/buick v8's can loose prime to the oil pumps quite readily. The fix is to pull the sump and pack the oil pump with vasoline. Quite a job, so I wouldn't be in a hurry to risk loosing prime :clown:

The Cit/Peugeot EP engine also has a variable displacement oil pump. It sits in the sump driven from the crankshaft and doesn't seem to lose prime if you are a bit tardy.

I had 3500 Rover V8s and never lost prime, even if I went to lunch half way through an oil change. They were an easy engine to work on.

All this is mute you don’t gain anything running an engine dry to get out what 50-100 m of oil max if you are really keen throw a few litres of oil in after draining and run for a bit. This thread has made my week 😂

Quick date check.........

Nope - not April 1st !!!!

Is Halloween the new April Fools ?

Cheers

Justin

Jaahn
Jaahn, my question was for the Peugeot. Not that it would help if the oil pump needs priming first. Anyhow, i do fill oil filters prior to installing them if possible.

Fill through the dipstick ?

Cheers

Justin

OK, OK, come to think of it I probably let it idle for 5 maybe 6 seconds. Far more than 100ml of oil came out. (Is there an oil cooler there somewhere?)
Anyway I drove a couple of hundred km yesterday after "The" oil change. No warning lights, temperature gauges in usual positions and No noises from the engine either.
Must be just lucky!
Doubt I will be changing the 407 oil again, as the last oil change was in 2014. I am 74 now (Gray Nomad type). 35,000km on clock.
(Surprised no comment on the oil grade used).

Maybe the 504, 205, Honda Jazz and the VW Transporter are all just about to crap themselves?

Looks like you can always learn something on this site. :)

my dad claimed the pearl button mod was to ,increase the spark on an engine using lots of oil, stopped the plugs from fouling ,he used to drive his brother in laws bakers van ,around long jetty doing deliveries [morris j van ] apparently it was quite an impressive sight, early morning and at night ,fireworks under the bonnet ,sorry if I'm off topic just answering jaahs questions !