407 Front end clunk

husky430

Fellow Frogger
Hey fellow froggers, just wondering if anyone else with a 407 have experienced a clunking in the front end on excelleration. I'm figuring it's a engine mount or mounts and wondering if this is a common thing with them. If so if it's an easy fix/repair to replace them or if it's all ready been covered in here somewhere. Have tried searching but always seem to have problems with the search function on here. Still loving my 407, especially when filling it up, such a economical beast. Cheer Steve

A good possibility. What engine? Can you detect which area up front it comes from?

The best way to find things here is Google or Duckduckgo site search.

How many k's on it ? What sort of driving has it done? I've got 2 407 HDi for a total of around 180K in my hands. Top engine mounts and its torque arms have been replaced but not what one could describe as common. They are rubber and they flex so they wear. Which injectors have you got ? Had to replace some front bushes at about 250K on 1 car. You've got me totally lost with excelleration ! But fuel economy is good.

Does it make a rattle on start up ?
My 406 had a worn top mount and did this.
Or it could be any number or bushes in the front suspension.

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs

My 406 did it as well. Tirned out to be a the torsional limiter (part name?) on the engine on the srivers side of course 406 could be totally different to 407.

Thanks for all the info fellas, it's got 250k on the clock and is a 2007 2.0HDi diesel, the main clunk seems to come from the drivers side up high so probably the engine mount there. No rattle on start up. Not sure on what injectors it's got and how hard is it to replace the front bushes as maybe that could be part of the problem as at first I thought it was something in the brakes as had just replaced the pads up front but had a look and all is good there.
It also makes the same or similar clunking when turning over some potholes or rough tarmac, almost sounds like metal on metal. Doing an oil change this weekend so will have a bit of a look around down there.
There is the engine mount up high on the drivers side, there is one down low, underneath at the back of the motor somewhere and I'm guessing there is one somewhere on the passenger side.
Have tracked them down and not too expensive but only seem to see the drivers side and rear one there. Also found a youtube video on replacing the drivers side one. Thanks for help in advance, cheers Steve

Don't forget about anti-roll bar drop links - can be surprisingly noisy when worn!

Cheers

Alec

Thanks Alec, will check them out on the weekend too, all great info and things to think about late at night, cheers fellas

I would suspect the engine mount/s. I have replaced the torsional mount twice in 140,000 and the other mount once. Was not expensive.
It is quite easy to inspect the torsional mount using a mirror. My magnificent 407 SW is a 2008

Thanks David, I'm guessing the torsional mount is underneath the engine at the back hence the use of a mirror? If anyone has any ideas on the best way to check these mounts I would be very thankful. Apart from just looking at them to see if they are off centre I'm not really sure. Maybe get the better half in the car with one foot on the brake and it in drive and applying a bit of throttle to see how it moves on the mount? Cheers Steve

Hi husky430, as in Husqvarna 430 dirt bike, I guess, if that car is new to you I reckon it is akin to the '07 407 manual HDi I bought with 240K of tar rural road driving in its background. Its top engine mount was very stuffed, the sway bar link bushes did a bit of clunking and then the somewhat unsettling self steering habit on bendy rural roads at speed required the replacement of badly stuffed locating bushes which when replaced changed the car very much for the better. If you look you'll find I put a thread or two on AF when I did the work. Not that hard just consumes time, but well worth the effort. Next project is the EGR limiting plate.

Thanks Kelpibat, no have had the car for about 5 years now and very happy with it. Did the ERG plate pretty much straight away and have had no issues with it. Car still tracks great and had new tyres early this year and Bob Jane didn't say anything was worn in the front end. Thinking now it is a combination of sway bar bushes and that top engine mount/dog bone thingy, maybe bottom rear mount as well? Just not sure how to check that I have movement there or not. Cheers and thanks again, Steve

Both the top engine mount and the locating bush I changed are very hard to detect. My mechanic in doing cam belt and etc found the stuffed engine mount, and he being a Pommie familiar with Peugs told me about the locating bushes that do not show obvious wear except, as I learnt, when pushing through sweeping corners and etc. You will never feel it on motorways or in town. Just put a jack under the engine and undo the top mount, you'll soon see that it needs replacing and the sway bar links too. I could send you photos of the shagged pieces, but that'll take longer than you having a look.

just check the exhaust mount just behind the engine, i have seen the 2 10mm nuts come loose twice on 407s, also clunking can come from front hub swivel bearing