406Hdi not charging

Ren25

Fellow Frogger
Hi all,
Having a problem with my D9 406 Hdi. Not charging. Battery light on and "Charging Fault" on display. I have removed the alternator and tested it according to Youtube with test light, multimeter and electric drill and it tests OK. Replaced the "engine running signal relay", still no go.
Any ideas?

When you hold the inside of the alternator does the clutch lock one way and not the other when loaded they can slip but will spin normally.
There also is an earth at the front of the motor on the bell housing that is notorious for coming loose while the multi meter is out do a voltage drop test from positive battery to positive alternator and negative battery and engine and body earth should have almost zero (with the engine running )

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
Fix it right the first time

When you hold the inside of the alternator does the clutch lock one way and not the other when loaded they can slip but will spin normally.
There also is an earth at the front of the motor on the bell housing that is notorious for coming loose while the multi meter is out do a voltage drop test from positive battery to positive alternator and negative battery and engine and body earth should have almost zero (with the engine running )

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
Fix it right the first time

Thanks DMC. I checked the clutch, its all good. Will check the rest in the morning.

Done all those checks, all OK.
However there is no voltage to the small terminal on the alternator with the ignition on.
Beginning to think it's the BSI.