406 Wiper Arm

Brenmax

Fellow Frogger
Hello

The driver side wiper arm on my (2003) 406 has broken off at the base just near the mounting nut... (and gone missing, though I doubt it could be repaired anyway - appears to be a brittle alloy).

Dealer advises no replacements in the country and no joy with local wreckers though hopefully a Melbourne wrecker will be able to assist in due course.

I need to bodge something up for a trip this weekend. Does anybody know if anything else will fit the splined-cone fitting of the shaft - Peugeot or other - that might get me going in the short-term for this (rainy) weekend???

Thanks

Bren

If all else fails, apply Rainex to the windscreen....it's like an ultra-thin coating of teflon. Just wipe on with a small square of cloth (I always use a rubber glove for this) and buff off the misty residue. If you've never used it before, you'll be amazed....instead of streaking, the water beads and just slides off, mesmerisingly.
I have used it for about 35 years and swear by it.

Thanks Beano - Yes, am a regular user of Rainex and have applied liberally since arm failure - works great at highway speed but less so at around-town speeds or light vehicle spray from traffic ahead. So even with Rainex not prepared to head off on 20 hour trip without wipers. (Have become a woose - would have done it 20 years ago.... :)

I wonder if another similar shaft can be used of a 307/C5 etc from same year, has anyone every pulled one apart?

where has it broken off, maybe drill a hole in a bolt and tap a screw thru as a temp measure, depend what tools you have access to

This bush mechanic fix may be a bit late (its Friday evening), but you could do it in a few minutes.:
Hopefully there is room to do this.....

If you have a small pair of vise grips, wrap something (plastic, leather) around the protruding stump to protect the spline, lock on the vise grips, and wire the old arm to the vise grips.....using multiple separate pieces of wire in case one breaks.

Hello

The driver side wiper arm on my (2003) 406 has broken off at the base just near the mounting nut... (and gone missing, though I doubt it could be repaired anyway - appears to be a brittle alloy).

Thanks

Bren
I'm confused - is it the wiper arm that's broken, or the spindle that the arm is pressed onto (the nut clamps it onto the tapered spindle).

If it's the wiper arm, then you should be able to get something to fit from Bursons, or Supercheap etc...

From the OP's description, it's the arm...You won't get it from Bursons or Supercheap - they sell blades but not arms. The arm will have to be the right one, they are model specific these days, not generic.

One thing that is worth trying... it MIGHT fit but probably won't - is to move the left wiper to the right side. On most cars this would be a terrible fit but from vague memory on 407s they are fairly symmetrical and just might do at a pinch??? Probably would hold the blade at a different angle but might be good enough for temporary use??? Then at least you would have a drivers side wiper. You'd have to hold it in place first and see if it might fit.

Try
Rowley Pym - - (02) 9653 1641 he has a huge collection