406 Water Pump

Chuggo

Fellow Frogger
Hey all, the summer has not been kind to my 98 406 V6 and he definitely needs the water pump replaced. Am I going to be able to do it myself? So far I've changed the thermostat and an engine fan ok, but this seems a little more daunting. Any advice?

To be honest I think this job is beyond me. I'm near Newcastle, anyone know of any mechanics around who would take on the job?

Try Goodwins in Cessnock. They have extensive experience on Peugeots and service my 406 and daughters 308 (both diesels) They have a website.

20 mins job once the engine is out of the car

I would never do a timing belt on a V6 in the car, it's not worth the knuckles

Anyway, good idea to take it out and do it so you can fix the oil leaks on the engine and replace the lower engine nount that will surely be stuffed

Thanks everyone for your helpful replies. Kinda wish I had moved on it sooner, for the 406 is no longer with me.... the timing belt broke and it went no further. Sold it off to a chap who hopes to do it up so I wish him the best. Need to find me a new project now....

Very sorry to hear that. I have a 406 D9 SV (ES9J4S motor) which is a great car to drive - smooth, quiet & deceptively quick.
Two years ago I started hearing strange noises, which I was pretty sure came from something driven by the accessory belt.

Timing belt wasn't really due for another 20,000km, but I went ahead and purchased the belts, water pump, idlers and adjusters. By the time I paid someone to fit it all and reseal the cam boxes, I was c. $3,000 out of pocket, but all the funny noises & oil leaks were gone.

Car has now done about 315,000km (25,000km since doing belts). Needs new gear change cables, new ignition switch, and a couple of other minor things, but is still a fantastic car to drive. Engine still not using any oil or water.
Hope the new owner can get it back on the road - it will reward him.

Cheers

Alec

Last edited:
Many thanks Armidillo. I bought it super cheap a year ago, I guess it was always on borrowed time, I don't think the timing belt had ever been changed. Got a whole year out of it though, some 3-4 hour trips and it always started first time every time with plenty of V6 power. The guy had some Euro fixing experience so I think he'll make a go of it. I think the only solution for me is to get a 406 coupe now, right?