406 Sv wagon 1998 speedo control unit (part no: 1929.SJ) Bitron unit looks like?

Re-assembly of timing belt and alternator belt stuff

My head hurts!!! errrrr.... re-checked the cam shaft locations and made small adjustments to the 2 rear ones to line up with the holes pefectly!! Used the loosen 4 pinion bolts and turn crankshaft a wee bit method.
then all the camshaft holes and crankshaft hole seemed aligned very well.
Tightened everything up, new bolts in harmonic balancer.
Manually turned engine over lots of times and nothing was hitting aything..phewww.....

Fitting alternator belt next.. errr had a problem with the tensioner, it would not move across to the left enough to clear the belt, seemed like the belt was a bit short, it was very tight without any tensioning, checked it against the old belt and it was just a tiny bit shoter, i put this down to the old belt stretching with age.
Hours of creative thinking, I could not actually understand how to set the tension, in the end i made a "puller" (see pic) to pull the idle wheel down, this gave the belt clearance off the tensioner but not enough to get the holding bolt in its right place, so i got a jemmy bar and prised it "open" more (see pic), this got the bracket across enough for the hlding bolt to be in the right place.
Tightened all that, I now have a very tight belt.. too tight?? I don't know. Scared though, once in the long distant past i tightened a belt on a car too much and destroyed some pulley bearings.
Fitted back the engine mount etc and closed up that side of the car with a few prayers.

Over to the air intake/filter etc.
Immediately confused by the air breather hoses. those nasty brittle plastic ones that break all the time.
Not sure what goes where, see pics, if you know please tell me!!
Made my best guess and put back the air filter etc, all together now....
time to start the engine!!! more prayers and long looks...
it did start with no crashing noises but was very rough and wouldn't idle.
Smoke!! Burning off the exhaust manifold, the front camshaft box was leaking terribly, damn it.
Did i forget to tighten the bolts? Did I use too much or not enough black RTV gasket silicone?
I was very scared to tighten those bolts too much because they seemed like you could easily strip the thread in the alloy head. I don't know the correct torque setting for them.

And black smoke coming out of the exhaust, now that's a worry. Burning oil in the cylinders?
How is it getting in there? My timing should be near perfect.

Grrrr... back we go, gotta fix that leaking cam box first and check the others for leaks.
There are two bolts on the end kinda under the plastic timing belt cover that are hard to get to, hope I don't have to remove the timing belt again just to get access to them, because you have to take off the camshaft pinions just to undo a small bolt holding the cover on to the block.

Did i mention I was a novice??? haahaaa.... ohh the pain...!!
IMG_1684w2.jpgIMG_1697w2.jpgIMG_1713w2.jpgair_breather_hoses_406.jpg
got 2 stray plugs looking for a home also.
IMG_1700w2.jpg

Its easy to take apart if you have a hacksaw! Its glued together, so i cut aound the top.
Other successes yesterday. I got the floor console out . The spring that holds the gear lever to the left was broken, its not available as a spare part, so i need to fabricate something. Removing this console made it easier to remove the radio surround piece, you need to do that to because of locking tabs on the bottom of the climate control cover plate, took the cover plate off the climate control unit very carefully by releasing the 2 bottom locking tabs and just prising it out around the perimeter, a very tight fit but it came out unbroken.
Replaced the 2 dud globes and it was visible again.
I think i found the location of the sender on the gearbox, will check that next before buying a new Bitron box.
i have fixed one before, squashing with the vice carefully, then the board can be repaired. i found i had to solder all the joints to rectify the problem...