406 Sv wagon 1998 speedo control unit (part no: 1929.SJ) Bitron unit looks like?

Pinsplitter

Fellow Frogger
406 Sv wagon 1998 speedo control unit (part no: 1929.SJ) Bitron unit looks like?
I have read about similar problems i am having with speedo not working or intermittent.
this unit seems to be the main culprit.
looking behind the glovebox i see a few boxes things, see pics, which one is it?
IMG_1534 - Copy.jpg
IMG_1532 - Copy.jpg
IMG_1535 - Copy.JPG

I believe its the one on the right on the first pic

I believe its the one on the right on the first pic

My SV D9 is having a similar intermittent working speedo. Sometimes, it would simply refused to work. I was even thinking the culprit would be the speed sensor on the gearbox. Please, Pinsplitter, update us when its resolved. So that I can fix mine as well, if this box is the culprit.

Last edited:
Also can be speedo connections in the instrument panel.
I had lots & lots of 'fun' [hours in fact] sorting one out.
Eventually,with thanks to Salman & others,I got it COOKING.

There was a change in the instrument panels -1998?-earlier panel had soldered elec.joints & the latter had springs to gain elec. circuit.
Pekay.

Thanks, that seems to identify it.
A new unit seems only available from Pug dealer.
I have pulled out and fiddled with the dispaly panel already, so i better try the gearbox sender next then the black box.
starting to get the car RWC in Victoria.
Other things are windscreen, do i really have to pay from $489 up to $700 as quoted by O'Brien glass?
Also the lower LCD panel has gone out, it tells the aircon setting etc i think, how do you get that section out?
Any source for just the LCD display by itself? I was quoted like $700 for the whole unit.
thanks all.

do you need a working speedo for RWC ??

in NSW we don't

my speedo hasn't worked from the day i got the car and i do think about playing with it but the GPS does me just fine

do you need a working speedo for RWC ??
well actually i am not sure, but i'd like to have it working to avoid speeding tickets and to get the cruise control to work.

Its highly likely that it's just the backlighting on the LCD display that has failed. It's usually a couple of bulbs in small square holders that you turn to release and then replace the bulbs.

I haven't removed a 406 centre console, so no tips on that from me. Try searching the forum for console removing tips.

This morning, I pulled out the Glove box of my D9 V6 to remove the interface box. But i found only one box behind the Glove box which is not the interface box, i believe, as you can see in the attached pics. Its written "Servotronic" on the box. Could it be the variable steering relay? Or does it also control the the Speedometer?

The speedometer works sometimes and refuses to work sometimes as well. And when it stop working, the mpg check wont work as well.

So, if my D9 doesnt have the interface box, does it mean only the transducer on the gearbox controls both the varaible steering and speedometer?

Ikenna.

Attachments

• 054.jpg
    054.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 3,153
  • 056.jpg
    056.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 2,380
WINDSCREEN_-Contact Windscreen Power in Ballarat-They have an service in Geelong.

As a matter of fact if anyone anywhere needs a screen phone them as they have the contacts.

I have been buying screens from them from 10+ years.

Thanks for the windscreen tip, i'll try them if i need them.
the screen only has light scratching from the wiper blades, i have seen repair kits available online that use cerium oxide powder with polishing pads, anyone ever tried these?
Where is the sender on the gearbox? Took one thing off today that looked like it but it wasn't it.
Thought i should check that as well as advised elsewhere.
If the sender box is the one we think it is, this is what's inside!! haa haa..
IMG_1538w.jpg
the board looks ok, no burn spots or anything to indicate electronic failure.

Another dumb question. So to remove the LCD panels in the middle console, I have to remove the whole cowling (?) that's across the whole dash area?

Last edited:
Seems right - I have two pics (not taken by me) that may help:

View attachment 42566 View attachment 42567

This is the unit I replaced on my car. $150,00. I had already checked the gearbox sender and it wasn't the problem. In my car the trip component was OK, but the speed reading was intermittant and it also affected the power steering.

I think the problem was dry joints on the circuit board. I still have the old one, but haven't had a close look at it. It's not that easy to get apart, in my opinion.

Its easy to take apart if you have a hacksaw! Its glued together, so i cut aound the top.
Other successes yesterday. I got the floor console out . The spring that holds the gear lever to the left was broken, its not available as a spare part, so i need to fabricate something. Removing this console made it easier to remove the radio surround piece, you need to do that to because of locking tabs on the bottom of the climate control cover plate, took the cover plate off the climate control unit very carefully by releasing the 2 bottom locking tabs and just prising it out around the perimeter, a very tight fit but it came out unbroken.
Replaced the 2 dud globes and it was visible again.
I think i found the location of the sender on the gearbox, will check that next before buying a new Bitron box.

I think i found the location of the sender on the gearbox, will check that next before buying a new Bitron box.
It's a small, roundish plastic device mounted to the top of the diff extension on the gearbox that the driver's side drive shaft goes into. When it's clean it's a white/tan colour but it's probably a little dirty by now.

It will be most likely the dry joints on the PCB at the back of the cluster. Did mine around a year ago and not had an issue since.

Easy job, even for an idiot like me. Multimeter essential! Also gives you a chance to replace all of the broken globes!

You'd be getting duff odometer readings if it were the sender from the gearbox.

He means the odometer readings would be wrong. If the sender from the gearbox is faulty then both the speedometer and the odometer would not be functioning correctly.