406 shaking

[ G'day Andrew
I have come across this in the front on trucks and Vans on many occasions
in my experance it had been Shock absorbers even though they looked ok they would get a cacitation in them .
giveing you a vibration that would only go away after backing off .
Have not experances it on the back yet.
John P T

The inner drive shaft universal joint accommodates plunge. Any restriction there will give vibration at wheel rotation speed, varying in intensity as the shaft angle increases, especially under load. Ideally the drive shaft should be as near to horizontal as possible, but load, braking,road irregularities & aerodynamics will affect that, front & rear.
I experienced this problem in my Citroen GS on a trip when towing a camper van some years ago. The inner front universal spiders have balls with needle rollers, & despite there being plenty of grease in the joint , it can centrifuge away from the needles, letting them dry out, get hot, expand, & lock up.
In this case I was lucky enough to catch it before the bits destroyed themselves, so a good polish & refill with teflon grease with some added gear oil to keep it fluid, solved the problem for good. The other side was on the way too & received the same treatment for a permanent fix.
I am unfamiliar with the 406 shafts, but if there is any restriction on plunge [ in out movement ] you will get vibration.

Richard

Solution likely to be simple..BUT ONLY AFTER YOU HAVE LOCATED PROBLEM.I have heard of this happening a number of times with different vehicles. have ..but never been around to hear of the cause.

I had a similar problem with Renault Laguna i.

It was the internal joint on the drive shaft on the passenger side, it had the same symptoms that you speak of in your first post.

What, the problem is still there over five years later?
Well over five years. As I said somewhere along the line in this thread, I noticed the shaking at around 380 000 kilometres. Those kilometres clicked over in about 2010, I think.

I'm also about to click over to about 560 000 kilometres.

Engine mounts
Wow, there’s a blast from the past. Where have you been hiding for the past few years? I haven’t seen you for ages!

Unless you know of some hidden engine mounts, I am confident that all have been changed. And there’s a gearbox support as well, if I remember correctly. That’s also been changed.

Thanks for the suggestion, though. I’ll listen to all reasonable suggestions.

Cheers,
Andrew

I haven't had it all of that time, so I don't know everything that's been done and what hasn't. But there have been a number of issues since I've had the car. The latest was a collapsed idler pulley which threw the timing belt. Thankfully, it is a Peugeot, not any number of other makes of engines which I've seen which have had timing belts disintegrate, or similar.

When I was looking at purchasing this, there was a D8 also for sale (both cars in Melbourne) and I came on to Aussiefrogs asking for advice. I got the usual opinions about paying too much and so on, but one bloke from Perth sent me a PM telling me that he had had an inspection done on one of the two cars (I can't remember which one) but had ultimately decided to purchase one closer to home. He and his wife had a 406 each - one owned a D8 and the other a D9. He told me that whichever car I decided on, I'd be happy with and that I'd be looking for excuses to drive it. I thought that he was nuts!

Eleven years later, and I still prefer to drive the 406 over either of the other two registered Pugs I own. (The 505 isn't registered, but I know that the 406 is a more enjoyable car than the 505, too.) And yes, I look for excuses to drive it. If I go on a trip, I much prefer to take it.

I'll do pretty much whatever I can to keep this car on the road.