406 ignition switch issue

ajpolden

Fellow Frogger
Hi All

My 406 seems finally to have succumbed to the dreaded heater-blower-melting-the-ignition-switch issue, and has jammed pretty tight. At least, I think that's probably what's happened without dismantling the switch and taking a closer look. The heater blower no longer runs at all - I replaced the control module last summer with a proper Valeo part, so I pretty sure that's all fine.

I haven't had any luck yet sourcing a replacement, so I've posted here in the For Sale section.

I should be able to get the right one off ebay; there are a few choices, but none of them appear to be OEM parts; certainly no Valeo ones. Probably less likely to give 20 years of service like the one currently fitted. So, my question is, does anybody have a wiring diagram for the harness to indicate which plug operates the heater blower? If I rejig it to run the blower from a relay instead, I might get a bit more life out of a cheap part.

Cheers

I decided to order one of the ebay switched after all, finding a switch without the whole key and lock assembly was prviing too hard. It finally arrived, so I decided to document the removal process, just to show that the two parts aren't inseparable. There's a nive video on youtube showing the process for a D9 406, but I found the process is somewhat different for my D8.

After removal the shroud around the steering column, I removed the black antenna ring for the immobiliser from around the key barrel.

Next, the key barrel needs to be removed. To take it out, the retaining clip (shown in the photo as 2) must slide out, however it probably won't come easily.
(1) To begin, insert your key and switch to the ON position - a security measure. I believe this should be enough to allow the clip to slide out, however it only came part of the way (2). To remove completely I switched if off and on a few times, and had to wiggle it a bit. Be careful, it's made of a very mild steel, so it's quite soft and easily bent out of shape. You'll have trouble refitting it if you mangle it. I suppose this is why it appears as part of the replacement part kit on servicebox.

Once the clip is removed, you should be able to slide the key barrel out part of the way, about 8mm, but the switch, shown in the last photo will block it. (3) This can now be separated from the assembly, along with its own retaining clip, and the key barrel and attached steering column pin removed.

In the great Haynes tradition, refitting is the reverse of removal. The key barrel will need to be flush against the steering column mount to make contact with the switch and to allow insertion of the retaining clip again.

406 ignition switch removal 2.jpg

A cursory inspection of the old switch reveals some measure of burning but I haven't had it completely apart yet. I also haven't yet fitted a relay because I haven't had time to identify which of the three plugs switches the heater blower - probably a project for Saturday.

An easy job, in all! :adrink:

Attachments

• 406 ignition switch sm.jpg
    406 ignition switch sm.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 170