406 front struts - options?

Yes, the only shockers which work in the back of a 505 are the originals, everything else is too soft. Better off using 30 year old originals as long as they aren't leaking.

The dampers in my 280,000 klm 306 are fine. Same as the 33 year old 505 I drove recently. I'd go genuine if possible.
My Audi, at 80,000 on the other hand..... Rides like crap and the shocks are already leaking.

If it was me I’d look for a secondhand original set, especially if you’re capable on the tools.
Scotty is dismantiling a 406 HDI. Worth a go before looking at non genuine options.

Ride will be firm anyway due to the RE003s so just go Record I would say. I would be surprised if you can buy the original Peugeot shockers, never seen them, although many years ago you could buy them for 505s.
It used to drive Peugeot mad (in the days when they cared about such things) when people were talked into new shockers by service centres for no reason and of course they failed not that long after, when the original ones would still have been working perfectly.

I think I had my original shocks replaced way too early (105 k km / 10 yrs) when there was 'looseness' noises - they replaced links etc also (probably the only problem).
The Records I have on the back possibly have heavier dampening - they are firm on the rebound over speed humps, little bounce.

The Records I have on the back possibly have heavier dampening - they are firm on the rebound over speed humps, little bounce.

That certainly sounds like an improvement over the current Lips! I am pretty sure the pitchy ride on uneven surfaces is down to lack of rebound damping.

Cheers

Alec

Lips and Bilstein B4s have poor rebound damping, they top out and crash on the down side of speed bumps as the wheel drops.

If it was me I’d look for a secondhand original set, especially if you’re capable on the tools.
Scotty is dismantling a 406 HDI. Worth a go before looking at non genuine options.

That's actually a very good thought! A little research on Service Box shows that the same shocks are used on all D9s, so I will check with Scot.

However my research has thrown up another variable - Service Box lists heavy duty shocks for all D9s, described as "for uneven terrain". Does anyone have experience/thoughts on standard vs heavy duty Peugeot shocks?

Cheers

Alec

OK - it's nice to dream about std vs heavy duty genuine shocks, but if the Record units are a bit stiffer than original, then that's probably the compromise I'm looking for - and a lot cheaper to boot!

What about springs? The back of the 406 sits very low when when the camping trailer is hooked up, so heavier duty springs should help, but are they likely to ruin the ride when the car is unladen? Service Box indicates that genuine heavy duty springs are available (described as "Rep 3 Green"), although std rear springs are NFP.

Cheers

Alec

Just did a 'bounce test' on all 4 corners of the Lip-equipped 406. Found the RF corner (shock obviously leaking) stiffer than the (non-leaking) passenger side! Perhaps the passenger side is already out of oil!

At the rear both shocks are collecting dust in a way that suggests they are starting to weep a little oil. The rear passenger side is stiffer than the driver's side rear :rolleyes:. That's it - I'm over Lip shock absorbers - hope that Records have better quality control.

Cheers

Alec

Just did a 'bounce test' on all 4 corners of the Lip-equipped 406. Found the RF corner (shock obviously leaking) stiffer than the (non-leaking) passenger side! Perhaps the passenger side is already out of oil!

At the rear both shocks are collecting dust in a way that suggests they are starting to weep a little oil. The rear passenger side is stiffer than the driver's side rear :rolleyes:. That's it - I'm over Lip shock absorbers - hope that Records have better quality control.

Cheers

Alec
Yes, the Records will be a lot better. Don't know if still available but Elko were very good in a 405 I had 5 years ago.

I think I had my original shocks replaced way too early (105 k km / 10 yrs) when there was 'looseness' noises - they replaced links etc also (probably the only problem).

I had a look at my (replaced) front shocks on the weekend - they have no branding, only one sticker with part numbers 9730 (LH) & 9731 (RH) 9730.JPG.
Doesn't Google clearly and doesn't match part numbers I see in Service Box.
I'm hoping the French writing and lack of branding (and the ~$650 cost) means there's some chance they're OEM.

Looking pretty good, I think my original Citroen Xsara struts have the same sticker.