406 D9 SV not starting

Armidillo

VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Hi all

My usually reliable 2001 model 406 V6 (D9, SV) won't start - won't even turn over. This is the ES9J4S engine.

1. I am confident it is not the battery - little eye is green & I topped it up with smart charger just in case. Haven't tried a different battery, but connected jumper leads from another car (which was running). Measured 13.8v at the 406's terminals - no difference

2.This came on gradually - at first it only rarely refused to start, and after clicking the key backwards and forwards a few times, it would suddenly go! Now the best I have been able to get after a lot of clicking was a half-hearted attempt to turn over.

3. Ignition switch is not original - I have "fixed" the air con a couple of times by replacing the ignition switch.

Does this sound like starter motor failure? Starter is very hard to access - I believe it is at the front, above the oil filter, but cannot see it or touch it!

Cheers
Alec

Try and put power on the starter solenoid if it doesn't work you need a starter, if it's manual, try and roll start it,

Yes, I would if I could access it - hard to see how they (PSA) could have concealed it any better! Does anyone know if I can just drain the sump and remove the oil filter to get access from below, or should I pull the bumper off and remove the radiator?

Just to make life difficult, I've parked it in a very tight space. Pulling it out and rolling it down the driveway is not impossible, but probably not something I can do on my own...

Find your starter relay, and find the power on it and try to crank it by jumping your relay, but first maybe check the starter fuse, normally they pop if it's shorted out.

Haven't done one before so can't help you there.

2.This came on gradually - at first it only rarely refused to start, and after clicking the key backwards and forwards a few times, it would suddenly go! Now the best I have been able to get after a lot of clicking was a half-hearted attempt to turn over.
A few scenarios come to mind,
signal from ignition switch/barrel not getting to BM34 Engine Fuse Box,
issue with BM34 not providing reliable 12v to starter solenoid
starter solenoid
starter motor brushes

Before getting stuck under car covered in oil use multimeter to measure if pin 1 on the 2pin black plug on the Engine Fuse box is providing 12v to starter when you turn ign key.
Depending on result you could disconnect the 2 pin plug, make sure you're in neutral and connect wire from pin 1 to battery positive terminal. If it cranks full speed starter solenoid is OK

starter_406_D9.jpg

You sure it's not the switch
Ignition switches in 406's are very weak
The starter is not that bad to get to but you will need to remove the heat shields around the exhaust
Probably best with radiator out for better access
They are relatively small so not heavy or difficult

You don't need to remove the engine for this job but I would start with the ignition switch before going to much further

The starter is not that bad to get to but you will need to remove the heat shields around the exhaust

You don't need to remove the engine for this job but I would start with the ignition switch before going to much further

Before getting stuck under car covered in oil use multimeter to measure if pin 1 on the 2pin black plug on the Engine Fuse box is providing 12v to starter when you turn ign key.
Depending on result you could disconnect the 2 pin plug, make sure you're in neutral and connect wire from pin 1 to battery positive terminal. If it cranks full speed starter solenoid is OK

This sounds to be just the approach I was looking for, but I'm not able to identify the black plug. Are we talking about the same engine fuse box?
DSC09545.JPG
DSC09546.JPG

BTW, I have cleaned the positive connections to the fuse box, the nearby earth point, and both battery terminals.

I picked rpo 8888 (mar 2001) D9 coupe ES9J4 and it shows an intelligent BM34 fusebox that communicates with the BSI etc.
That looks like a normal fusebox (D8 ?) so you're back to fixing the ignition switch which provides the 12v to starter solenoid
Does your igntion switch have 3 x 2 pin plugs as per this diagram?

1654738993292.png

Thanks Rambo - am aware of the troublesome nature of the ignition switch, having replaced it at least twice already. However in both cases it was to fix the air conditioning - never had a starting problem before.

I don't think it's the switch - got my wife to turn the key and established that the starter solenoid is giving good loud clicks - both when turning key to start, and when releasing. So looks like it's the starter not spinning...

Think I'll order one from Spareto and test their one-week delivery estimate - also $100 cheaper than Sparesbox.

I have a 12mm steel pipe that fits through the runners and kicks the 306 starter into life, a few hits on the solenoid with something metallic could get it going and move it to a better position to work on.