406 D9 catalytic converter

kelpiebat

Fellow Frogger
Bought a D9 with V6, a wounded auto and 154 K on the odometer. After making the box driveable and reconnecting a couple of connectors it started and was useable, though very weak, it was driven 850 km to home via a mechanic whose scanner said it had a cam sensor fault. Time is now allowing some work to happen, and it transpires that from when I picked the old girl up the plug leads for cylinders 1 and 2 were transposed. It now spins up quite well, but still doesn't seem to be as it should be yet. The dash panel is insistent that a pollution fault exists. In view of the abuse of improper mixtures during the drive home it seems likely that a problem with a catalytic converter is sure to exist. So it is hoped that someone may know of a fairly simple way to go about burning it/them clean. Or perhaps some other remedy.

Thanks, and safe 'n happy Easter motoring.

Bought a D9 with V6, a wounded auto and 154 K on the odometer. After making the box driveable and reconnecting a couple of connectors it started and was useable, though very weak, it was driven 850 km to home via a mechanic whose scanner said it had a cam sensor fault. Time is now allowing some work to happen, and it transpires that from when I picked the old girl up the plug leads for cylinders 1 and 2 were transposed. It now spins up quite well, but still doesn't seem to be as it should be yet. The dash panel is insistent that a pollution fault exists. In view of the abuse of improper mixtures during the drive home it seems likely that a problem with a catalytic converter is sure to exist. So it is hoped that someone may know of a fairly simple way to go about burning it/them clean. Or perhaps some other remedy.

I don't know much about this exhaust stuff but thought any fuel would have burnt off very quickly once firing on all cylinders.

I have D9 V6 with 'anti-pollution / cat converter ageing' fault.
These exhaust systems have two large precatalysers with oxy or (lambda?) sensors, as well as two catalysts. Some of my cats were replaced many years ago (expensive) - the secondary ones I think. I assume errors are therefore due to precatalyser issues.

While the cats and O2/Lmbda sensors are certainly capable of causing grief, the best place to start is right at the beginning, as any upstream fault will usually cause the O2 sensors to report an incorrect reading, which you then see as "Depollution system faulty".

Make sure the air filter is clean, then move on to plugs and coil packs. Replacing the spark plugs is probably a good idea anyway, but you wouldn't normally replace coil packs unless you know they are faulty, so you will need a Lexia/PP2000 kit to help you locate any that are faulty.

To get at the rear bank of cylinders, the intake manifold has to come off. This is easy compared to the ES9J4 engine in the D8 (& V6 Xantias & XMs), but still not something you want to do often. So if you do go in there, it's worth installing the 'best' plugs and coils - any suspect ones should go at the front. With the intake manifold off, access to the the multi-armed breather hose should also be a bit easier (this is at the throttle-body end of the engine). Mine had gone brittle with age and developed leaks (shattered when touched). A new one smoothed out various hesitations. New ones are available, but it's possible to remove the old hose from the connectors and make a new one with new hose and old connectors.

My D9 had new plugs and new breather hose last year (known good coils were refitted), and goes like a rocket, but still gets the 'anti-pollution fault' msg from time to time. Using 98 octane fuel and going on long trips seems to get rid of it for a while, but it's time for me to pull out my Lexia and check the coils...

Cheers

Alec

As far as ES9J4S V6 engine on D9 is concerned, getting pre-catalytic converters fault doesn't necessarily mean those pre-cats are dead. A simple thing as misfire on any of the cylinders can store that fault.

Service or flush the 6 fuel injectors, replace the spark plugs with the new recommended like 5960 G0 and confirm that the 3 ignition coils in bank 2 (cylinders 4, 5 & 6) are in good conditions. Reinstall the intake manifold and do the same on cylinder head bank 1 (cylinders 1, 2 & 3).

ES9J4S is very sensitive to carbon build up or deposits in combustion chambers and on valves, which makes them misfire quite often as the carbon increases. Always take the D9 for a long trip to prevent this.

Also, the fuel injectors on this engine can easily be clogged with low quality fuel which would make the cylinders to misfire at times. Every once in awhile, you have to clean the injectors or you have to drive the car very hard often to prevent this.

It's a sweet engine to run when you understand it.

Ikenna351, Lion King - Monk.

If you are getting cat ageing faults it does because it takes into account miss fire data and fuel trims and only sets after meeting the code setting criteria.

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
Fix it right the first time

As far as ES9J4S V6 engine on D9 is concerned, getting pre-catalytic converters fault doesn't necessarily mean those pre-cats are dead. A simple thing as misfire on any of the cylinders can store that fault.

Service or flush the 6 fuel injectors, replace the spark plugs with the new recommended like 5960 G0 and confirm that the 3 ignition coils in bank 2 (cylinders 4, 5 & 6) are in good conditions. Reinstall the intake manifold and do the same on cylinder head bank 1 (cylinders 1, 2 & 3).

ES9J4S is very sensitive to carbon build up or deposits in combustion chambers and on valves, which makes them misfire quite often as the carbon increases. Always take the D9 for a long trip to prevent this.

Also, the fuel injectors on this engine can easily be clogged with low quality fuel which would make the cylinders to misfire at times. Every once in awhile, you have to clean the injectors or you have to drive the car very hard often to prevent this.

It's a sweet engine to run when you understand it.

Good to hear from you Ikenna!

What Lions do have now? I still have 605 (PRV V6) and 406 (ES9J4S) - both running well.

Cheers

Alec

Good to hear from you Ikenna!

What Lions do have now? I still have 605 (PRV V6) and 406 (ES9J4S) - both running well.

Cheers

Alec

Yeah! It's been awhile Alec. Missed you guys.

Currently, I own the following Lions:

1. 505 V6 (ZN3J) 5-speed Manual.

2. 406 V6 (ES9J4S) 5-speed Manual.

3. 607 V6 (ES9A) 6-speed Automatic.

Unfortunately, I have sold my 605 V6 (ZPJ) 5-speed manual.

Anyway, I am gathering parts to convert my 607 V6 with ES9A from AM6 6-speed Automatic to 6-speed Manual. I have bought 5-speed Manual gearbox for the conversion, but reluctant to mount it. I am still searching for the 6-speed manual gearbox.