406 Coupe Register

Stephen Murray

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
Tadpole
Tadpole
Is there a national register of Coupes in Australia? They are getting rarer as each one heads off to the wreckers.

I found this in another thread which could be a good starting point for members to list under each year - Not sure what the best way to do it would be - VIN, Year, Colour, Transmission, Milage (all Australian coupes were V6)?

406 Coupé sales in Australia:
1997 1 (probably evaluation model)
1998 138
1999 106
2000 59
2001 57
2002 38
2003 51
2004 10 - with the last 2 sold in November
Total: 460

One way to build such a register is to comb online car sales sites. I do that for the 404 Register.
That's what I did for the 605 register (such as it is). Also, whatever Peugeot Club magazines or info online can be a great source, as well as the great resource that is AF and its members. Online rego checks can tell you if the car is still registered (if you've seen an old pic of a car with rego no). It isn't hard to do, just takes someone with a bit of time and motivation to get it started. Must admit I have lost a bit momentum with the 605 info. Mostly because the well of info is a bit dry now. I found almost half of the new cars sold here still in existance, although some are parts cars.

Thanks everyone. How do you keep the details relatively confidential (I know the guy that does this for the Holden Monaro so will ask him)

That's what I did for the 605 register (such as it is). Mostly because the well of info is a bit dry now. I found almost half of the new cars sold here still in existence, although some are parts cars.
That's excellent!

I have only found about 14.51% of 404Cs worldwide but then again, they're a lot older and more rust-prone. New discoveries there too are slowing down but stil trickling in, a few a month.

I found this in another thread which could be a good starting point for members to list under each year - Not sure what the best way to do it would be - VIN, Year, Colour, Transmission, Milage (all Australian coupes were V6)?

406 Coupé sales in Australia:
1997 1 (probably evaluation model)
1998 138
1999 106
2000 59
2001 57
2002 38
2003 51
2004 10 - with the last 2 sold in November
Total: 460
I am pretty sure that mine is one of the ten sold in 2004 as it was complianced in November 2003. Just waiting on the original owner coming back to me.

That's excellent!

I have only found about 14.51% of 404Cs worldwide but then again, they're a lot older and more rust-prone. New discoveries there too are slowing down but stil trickling in, a few a month.
I am only planning on doing Australia so a much smaller task :)

Thanks everyone. How do you keep the details relatively confidential (I know the guy that does this for the Holden Monaro so will ask him)
Yes the main thing is that personal details are kept confidential. One thought (admins?), do we provide the option for website members to be linked to their cars so they can be contactable by other website members (only through the site messages)?

I have set up a register for Bertram 23's and have a Facebook page and keep the build plate number details and rego details to myself. Its just on excel. Its more complex that a 406 register as it lists options, engines, props, speeds economy etc etc.

That's what I did for the 605 register (such as it is). Also, whatever Peugeot Club magazines or info online can be a great source, as well as the great resource that is AF and its members. Online rego checks can tell you if the car is still registered (if you've seen an old pic of a car with rego no). It isn't hard to do, just takes someone with a bit of time and motivation to get it started. Must admit I have lost a bit momentum with the 605 info. Mostly because the well of info is a bit dry now. I found almost half of the new cars sold here still in existance, although some are parts cars.
the rego check can be a bit tricky. Mine was a Qld car, then bought by Neil Bedoe and had the rego changed to NB406, then he changed that to COOPUG and now I am going to get rid of those plates and put the plates from my dads 67 404 - JUS880 on it. My old 403 plates are still in use but the car was found in a paddock on is now quietly rotting in a wreckers car park in Box Hill. Otherwise it would have HLW844 on it :)

the rego check can be a bit tricky. Mine was a Qld car, then bought by Neil Bedoe and had the rego changed to NB406, then he changed that to COOPUG and now I am going to get rid of those plates and put the plates from my dads 67 404 - JUS880 on it. My old 403 plates are still in use but the car was found in a paddock on is now quietly rotting in a wreckers car park in Box Hill. Otherwise it would have HLW844 on it :)
Yes a lot of plates I looked up didn't go anywhere. But from plate info that matches a car in some states like Vic you can also glean VIN, which then allows you to look up the car on Service Box (but you have to pay for it). For me that gave info (for later, Phase 2 cars, at least) what options were fitted and when it was built.

Basically I was harvesting any online references to Aus delivered 605s. Because there were only 48 or 49 to begin with, it didn't take long to get to the 24 or so. If I found, for example, just an online ad from 2012 of a blue Phase 2 car with the NSW rego no visible (which turned out to be no longer in use) I'd document it. It may mean a few double ups, until I get further info, but at least it's something -- and anything online like that today may disappear tomorrow. Not sure how or if Wayback Machine would work for a keyword search from a past date, hven't got that far.

Also old car magazines give you a press car and number plate, so again good to add to the list. The car may or may not still exist, but it gives a piece of a jigsaw puzzle when identifying a certain car. Bauer Media used to have an online archive freely available, but last I looked it was broken.

I put as much info as I can on my spreadsheet but am not making it all public. That's a bit of a problem in a way because if one day someone buying a 605 or trying to find parts for one won't get much from a stripped out online list. Obviously not a good idea to give out email addresses or phone numbers though.

It was interesting talking to a bloke a few years ago who's in the Humber(?) club. Or some other long-gone British brand. He said that the cars left in Aus were so well archived by the club that anyone wanting to buy one could get the full history of ownership etc. I think it takes a certain type of car with a high level of enthusiasm for them, in small numbers for all cars to be 'known' like that.

Perhaps that will eventually be possible for the 406 Coupe, doubt it for the 605.

Looking at the UK sites I think there are around 50 Coupes left on the road out of thousands. I haven't seen one on the road in Melbourne for ever - I don't think I have seen one in over 10 years. I will start with baby steps :)

@Stephen Murray - seems to be a surge of 406 coupes for sale right now. 4 currently on Gumtree, 2 on carsales and a couple being sold via other means at various prices. Based on this there has to be at least 50, probably well over 100, still driving around Australia.

Yes the main thing is that personal details are kept confidential. One thought (admins?), do we provide the option for website members to be linked to their cars so they can be contactable by other website members (only through the site messages)?
Hi Rix,

Have a read of the T&Cs for this forum, and note that previously admin locked access to accounts and required agreement to new T&Cs. For myself, the trust is gone, and I would not put anything on this site that I would want to keep private.

Cheers,
Andrew

Maybe with a couple going for OK prices recently and the nice burgundy one at $15000 people are starting the think its a good time to sell? The green is a nice colour and don't mind the tan interior.

I suspect most are in storage waiting to be restored. I haven't seen one on the road for 15+ years.