406 Coupe Engine Mounts

andrewj

Fellow Frogger
Hi Everyone,

I've finally ended the procrastination and sorting out the oil leaks on the 406 Coupe.

The first challenge I have come across is the engine mount on the top right had side of the engine broken, and also NFP.
1674514253471.png

It looks like the same part out of a 2.2 Diesel might fit. Has anyone tried this, or is there an alternative solution?

Cheers,
Andrew

have you tried a citroen xantia for availability? they are probably the same mount used between all of the cars of that era (AEI in melbourne would probably know).

Looks like your coupe is the early model. Correct part number is 1814.34. This part is no longer available, but the later model 406 V6 engine mount (from the VVT engine) is a direct fit. Part number is 1814.37.

Looks like your coupe is the early model. Correct part number is 1814.34. This part is no longer available, but the later model 406 V6 engine mount (from the VVT engine) is a direct fit. Part number is 1814.37.
Hi Scotty,

Actually, mine is the later model ('99) with 1814.37. I spent this afternoon pulling a 1818.34 out of an early model wreck to see if it would fit, but it is quite a bit taller.

Where did you find the 1814.37? I had no luck with the usual on line parts suppliers.

Cheers,
Andrew

Hi Scotty,

Actually, mine is the later model ('99) with 1814.37. I spent this afternoon pulling a 1818.34 out of an early model wreck to see if it would fit, but it is quite a bit taller.

Where did you find the 1814.37? I had no luck with the usual on line parts suppliers.

Cheers,
Andrew
Use the bracket as well as i think they differed in height to suit the mounts

Use the bracket as well as i think they differed in height to suit the mounts
Tried that. The rear mounting on to the subframe also changes between the early and late models. So "dog bone" mount doesn't fit :rolleyes:

Tried that. The rear mounting on to the subframe also changes between the early and late models. So "dog bone" mount doesn't fit :rolleyes:
A quick update...

EAI no longer holds the 1814.37 Avaldi listed it and accepted the order, then refunded due to nfp from peugeot. So I'm a bit stuck.

Would anyone be able to measure the height of the mount on a 406 D8 diesel from '99 onward? I am hoping this might fit - even if it has a different stiffness/strength.

Cheers,
Andrew

I just Qwant searched in France and found a few suppliers who don't mention unavailable (eg the Corteco item from Alvadi). The part number suits a range of PSA vehicles and there seems to be a few manufacturers. I don't know about delivery to Australia, or even if they are really stocked, but you could look into it.

There are forum posts in France about this problem and I noticed a workaround using something.similar from a diesel.

A quick update...

EAI no longer holds the 1814.37 Avaldi listed it and accepted the order, then refunded due to nfp from peugeot. So I'm a bit stuck.

Would anyone be able to measure the height of the mount on a 406 D8 diesel from '99 onward? I am hoping this might fit - even if it has a different stiffness/strength.

Cheers,
Andrew
Hi Everyone,

An update on this. I fitted a mount from a diesel car, and 400km later it seems to be working just fine. It is very nice not to have the engine clunking back and forward with the accelerator!

Another interesting discovery is that the transmission is now behaving much better. The only thing I can think that would have caused this is fitting a thermostat, which keeps the temperature higher and constant.

Cheers,
Andrew

I paid a local mechanic to replace all engine mounts on my D9 SV (berline) a few years ago - I supplied the mounts.

He commented afterwards that at first he thought I'd supplied the wrong parts, as the old ones were so compressed and out of shape.

Yep, that was my experience also - the vertical mount on drivers side was about 15mm short than the new one, but compressed to the same height once loaded with the weight of the engine.

Hi Everyone,

An update on this. I fitted a mount from a diesel car, and 400km later it seems to be working just fine. It is very nice not to have the engine clunking back and forward with the accelerator!

Another interesting discovery is that the transmission is now behaving much better. The only thing I can think that would have caused this is fitting a thermostat, which keeps the temperature higher and constant.

Cheers,
Andrew
where did you get the mount from. Is this something we need to buy now and squirrel away?

where did you get the mount from. Is this something we need to buy now and squirrel away?
Hi Stephen,

I got mine (the diesel version of the mount) from EAI, but they also seem to be listed as aftermarket products on the baltic on line shops.

Regarding planning for the future - not sure. I've resigned my self to enjoying the coupe while I can, but with no great expectations about keeping it on the road long term. I'm more optimistic about the 405srdts due to the very large number made, and relative simplicity.

Cheers,
Andrew

Hi Stephen,

I got mine (the diesel version of the mount) from EAI, but they also seem to be listed as aftermarket products on the baltic on line shops.

Regarding planning for the future - not sure. I've resigned my self to enjoying the coupe while I can, but with no great expectations about keeping it on the road long term. I'm more optimistic about the 405srdts due to the very large number made, and relative simplicity.

Cheers,
Andrew
Thanks Andrew. I will see what I can find. I have two cars so that I can keep one on the road long term - ie until I pop my middle aged clogs. I am building up a little collection of cars to drive and tinker with. Cheers Stephen