406 coupe 3 ltre cam cover seals quote

87205gti

Fellow Frogger
Hey guys
What sort of money are we talking about to get the cam cover oil leaks fixed please ?

And the ballpark quote to do timing belt / water pump etc.

It's a d8 99 406 coupe
Thanks
Bazz

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs

The seals are not available. The cam box covers u use a type of silastic and it needs to set before u fit the covers back onto engine or they leak again. Same on 407 v6 motors.

Bout 3.5 hours to do the complete kit but more if camshaft seals also replaced. Get a timing kit from dapco or European auto imports thornleigh.

There are two places that the ES9J4/S/A motors leak from... the first is between the cam cover and cam box, and the second is between the cam box and the head.

As mentioned above, it is very difficult to find the replacement cam covers (the factory seal is integrated in them and can't be purchased separately), so a quality sealant is required. And it needs to be completely cured before starting the engine, as there is about a 1.5mm gap that it needs to seal if the engine is started, the pressure in the crankcase (positive or negative, depending on engine condition!) will displace the sealant.

I pull the engine out for this task. I do the cam boxes, cam covers, sump gasket, both crankshaft seals, all four camshaft seals, timing belt, tensioners and water pump at the same time. It's the most cost-efficient way in the long run, and you don't have to worry about anything on the motor for another 150k km+.

Yep - exactly what Dammanu said. If it is a manual, it is even worse, in fact you should just give up and sell it to me. Has your ABS module died yet? I found a mob in the UK that rebuilt mine at a reasonable price - won't pass roadworty with the fault showing.

Yep - exactly what Dammanu said. If it is a manual, it is even worse, in fact you should just give up and sell it to me. Has your ABS module died yet? I found a mob in the UK that rebuilt mine at a reasonable price - won't pass roadworty with the fault showing.
Had my Monaro module pack it in late last year and have had a hells own job sourcing a replacement. Cooldrive talk about a 25% success rate in fixing them as many of the known faults are caused by failed components not just fractured solder. Bosch are no longer supporting these units with parts. I went to PEC Australia and they gave me a 'repaired' one that was in worse shape that my original one (and are now refusing to give me back my $220 bond even though they have the faulty unit back). The 406 Coupe and Monaro units are the same tech built by the same people. I now have three working used units for the Monaro and three for the 406 :)