406 Clutch question

luthier

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
My White 2000 HDI 406 just lost her clutch.
Damn it's the wife's car so it shall be repaired asap.[By me.] Meanwhile she's driving my silver version.
Yes we are indeed affluent with his and hers 406HDI cars. [Mine cost $400 and hers cost $2600 just so's you aint too offended by the wealth.]

Anyhoo, as they say in USA, I ripped the box outa this baby , and when I say ripped, believe me backyard abortions are more gentle.
I had to pry the damn thing out with a crowbar, no joke. Took most of a day prying.
Yes it's one of those damn dual mass flywheel jobbies and I'm up for replacing it with the solid one, I mean wot a crock of shit. $700 later in parts.

Right now I'm getting to the question.

How the Fu#$ do I get the box back in?

Do I drop the crossmember? Or is this one of those special models that needs the engine fed into the space avec gearbox already attache?
Or how's about just cutting off that stupid ridiculous protruding lower cross member? I'm really inclined towards that theory and then if I or anyone else ever has to do the job again it will be a snack.
I hate stupid design like this.
Intelligent thoughts please.

You can get the box in with the x member in did my dads in his garage it wasn’t fun but did it mind you a week before I wanted him to bring it up to my work to do the badly slipping clutch on the hoist but father knows best

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 505 GR xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
Fix it right the first time

Some said that sometimes the engine has to come out to do a clutch. I'm thinking I've struck that one, but then I'm the only one it ever happens to, no matter wot.

I'd drop the cross member anyway. Only takes about 15 minutes to remove and makes the job unbelievably easy. On my own 406 hdi I did the complete clutch job in just over 2 hours. (Although I had a hoist for this one).
Car was being picked up next morning after sale. And the clutch started slipping at lunch time! Made some good time on that job!

Certainly remove the cross member to do any work on a 405, 406 may be similar.

I'd drop the cross member anyway. Only takes about 15 minutes to remove and makes the job unbelievably easy. On my own 406 hdi I did the complete clutch job in just over 2 hours. (Although I had a hoist for this one).
Car was being picked up next morning after sale. And the clutch started slipping at lunch time! Made some good time on that job!

Bastard.:worship:

I bet you didn't change the flywheel and fit a new lower engine mount bush though.

But yes I didn't seem to read Haynes properly the first time and had obviously glossed over the cross member removal bit.
Then I had to bone up on fitting the pull clutch. Strange thing is I cannot see how one would separate the box with the pull thrust bearing intact and I actually think I only managed because that's what had failed when the foot went to the floor and wouldn't return.
At least putting it together should be possible with a big screwdriver instead of special tool number $%6788$$546.

Anyhoo, as they say in USA, I ripped the box outa this baby , and when I say ripped, believe me backyard abortions are more gentle.

:D :roflmao:

Demannu used a fibre optic scope to look inside his 406 clutch to make sure it was hooked up correctly.

I still don't understand how those pull clutches work, though I can accept that they are mechanically more efficient or sophisticated.

Sounds like an MLT5 gearbox to me - same as fitted to the Xantia Turbos.

You will need to make a facsimile of the tool used to engage the throwout bearing as if you muff it first time, you have to take the gearbox out again to set the circlip up again for another try. Don't ask me how I know this.

Check my thread below.

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/ci...t-turbo-activa-clutch-replacement-dramas.html

Cheers, Ken

Damn the whole idea is an abomination , badly thought out and badly executed. Almost dare I say planned obsolescence?
Such a shame in the 406HDI which till now I was totally enamoured with. Still nothing's perfect but this kind of stupidity combined with the dual mass flywheel would spell write off for anyone not inclined to grit their teeth and fix it themselves at this stage of the car's life, being a 2000 model.
I am usually way beyond the normal time when sensible people abandon cars, I mean today I just fitted new spark plugs in the 203 and got a huge buzz when it now starts with a zing again.
But with the more modern stuff I must have a cutoff point beyond which it isn't worth the trouble. Haven't yet found it with the 406. Time will tell. Hitting a gum tree did it for the boy's 306. So far I can only imagine that as serious enough for abandonment.
If there were more about I could have been tempted to do a sidestep but obviously too many have taken the easy way out littering the wreckers with spare parts and leaving the secondhand pages so sparse . Which in turn puts off prospective buyers leading eventually to extinction.