406 climate control

jgp

Fellow Frogger
I have a problem with the electric motor which controls the air vents located under the glovebox. apparently similar to that on a 405 system. it began by making a clicking sound from under the glovebox. i have since had the motor disconnected, quoted $320.00 for the part alone (valeo) which i was shown. would i be able to source a secondhand part (seems very expensive for what it is) cheers.

Hi

That part is £120 in the uk, Its the nylon gears inside, they strip & thats why that little black box is clicking.
I got a second hand one for my 405 for £25 a couple of years ago & stuck it in & its been fine ever since.
If you can find a good second hand one, stick it in & your problems solved.

While my 406 has not had any problems yet I did have much trouble with the motor/gears in my 405 MI16 climate control. I replaced the damaged plastic gears with parts sourced from my Tamiya 10th scale remote control car collection. In my case the 13 tooth motor drive pinion was an exact replacement. So pull the unit apart head to a hobby shop and you should find the bit you need. The cost $13 instead of the $250 quoted at the time for a new unit.

Take note of where the little potentiometer is as you pull it apart, the gears have arrows to show the intial postioning. This is important as the pot is used as a position sensor.

OddFireV6 said:
I replaced the damaged plastic gears with parts sourced from my Tamiya 10th scale remote control car collection. In my case the 13 tooth motor drive pinion was an exact replacement. So pull the unit apart head to a hobby shop and you should find the bit you need. The cost $13 instead of the $250 quoted at the time for a new unit.
That is what I call thinking outside the square! Well done

I'm keen on repairing the stripped gear for the climate control in my 406st. not sure if i have the flap in the open position when i disconnected. any advice on how to get to the motor to remove. through the glovebox or from underneath. cheers.

Hi

Empty the glovebox, Now under the glovebox door are 2 x black plastic pins, Slide them out & the whole glovebox can be removed.

Unclip the carpet trim under the glovebox, Thats just 3 x black push rivets.

Now its a load of torx 20 screws to undo, Also unclip the end access panel on the dash, Im pretty sure theres a couple of more screws behind there. Theres one hidden screw you cant see, Its along the bottom & towards the right of the dash panel, You get at it from up & behind the lower dash.

Once all the screws are removed & you unclip the glovebox light & switch plugs the whole of the bottom right hand side of the dash just lifts out.

When the panel is removed you have brilliant access to the heater assembly, central or dead locking & remote control boxes & alarm if fitted.

Its about a 15 minute job to get the lower dash panel out for a first timer, Its just that one hidden screw that makes the job a bit of a pain.

The flap motor is held onto the left hand side of the heater with 2 x screws, Its the little white plastic gear inside that goes wrong, You could try a model shop for a match.

If your after a second hand flap motor you MUST match up the correct plug! Theres loads of different motors & they all look the same from the outside, Check the amount of wires & the colour of the connector plug to get a match.

Im gonna guess your car will have a brown plug with 3 wires in.

Last edited:
406 air vent gears

Hi JGP,
I had the same problem with my 406ST at about 2 years out of warranty and it cost me about $440 (INCLUDING LABOUR AND ABOUT $320 FOR THE PART) at a dealer who didn't warn me beforehand. He lost my business after that.

Horrified, I wrote to Peugeot Australia and as I knew that it was a common problem I indicated that I would take action through the Fair Trading Dept. as the part was obviously "not of merchantable quality" because of the numerous failures. They refunded the $320 for the part and I copped the labour charge,

Regards,
Vic

Stripped air control gears - 406

A great idea! I stripped this gear twice in my 406 sedan. Finally I just disconnected it. Now I'll find a Tamiya hobby shop and fix the mongrel!

A great idea! I stripped this gear twice in my 406 sedan. Finally I just disconnected it. Now I'll find a Tamiya hobby shop and fix the mongrel!

Does anyone have a picture of the gear in question or the replacement gear? (shaft size etc.)

Paul