406 cambelt question

87205gti

Fellow Frogger
Is there an easy way to
Tell if a cambelt has been changed recently.
The car I bought had a lot of things done mechanically before I bought it.
The owner can't remember if they did the timing belt.
It's got 225 k's and had about 5 grands worth of work done in the last 18 mnths.

How often are they changed on a 406 3 ltre d8 coupe.

It's running great so I'm assuming it may have been done.

I called his old mechanic but he can't remember.

Thanks people
Bazz

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs

You wouldn’t forget doing one I would assume it hasn’t been done the are changed at 120k

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
Fix it right the first time

Is there an easy way to
Tell if a cambelt has been changed recently.
The car I bought had a lot of things done mechanically before I bought it.
The owner can't remember if they did the timing belt.
It's got 225 k's and had about 5 grands worth of work done in the last 18 mnths.

How often are they changed on a 406 3 ltre d8 coupe.

It's running great so I'm assuming it may have been done.

I called his old mechanic but he can't remember.

Thanks people
Bazz

This seems to a question about the lottery too many think they can win.
And in practice almost never do.

They only time I'd ignore cam belt changes is on a non interference engine. And even with my Estima/ Tarago with 1MZFZ V6.

I gave in and replaced, the belt, tensioner and water pump for my own peace of mind. :wink2:

He had 20 odd cars , it was his wife's car and he couldn't remember if they did it when they did the cam cover seals.
Which is why I'm
Asking.
He spent 5 k on it as was confirmed by the mechanic.
But the mechanic was too busy to CHEK his old job cards on the phone.

It's got 225k so I was 'assuming' it would of been done at 200 when they did the other work

And I was asking if you can tell before I spent a lot of money on something that had been done 20 k ago
[emoji854]

There isn’t an easy way to check the problem with cam belts even taking the front top cover off a belt with 20k will look basically the same as a 100k one I would be pressing the mech to make sure even if it cost you a minor service if local. I find it odd he was to busy to check almost all mechanic shops run an automated billing system , we just throw the rego in and just flick to parts replaced. Even though some people I have dealt with in the trade won’t give out info from previous owners and use the privacy card but I’ve never been pulled up by a old customer for it but each to his own. Hope you get a good out come possibly check the bolts on that little bracket on the power steering pump but again unless you have an invoice

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
Fix it right the first time

Really is a million dollar question. I replaced my v6 one almost bang on 120k. And it looked equally as good as the new one. Not a mark on it and the printed writing was still perfect. Also all the tensioner roller and water pump, were nearly as clean as the new ones! Probably could have done another 50k! Your only way to be sure is either do it again, or get onto the mechanic.

Sent from my SM-G930F using aussiefrogs mobile app

Thanks guys.
Yeah when I rang the mechanic he used he was too busy at the time as I said.
I may call him again next week
Ta

There isn’t an easy way to check the problem with cam belts even taking the front top cover off a belt with 20k will look basically the same as a 100k one

I have a similar problem with my 407 - seller told me he changed the belt about 5-10,000km back. I have no proof though, even though he seemed honest and other items he told me about have been verified. Will likely open it up and change the belt, while checking water pump and tensioner as the cost is small compared to a failure. Mine is only just past the recommended change interval

I would be pressing the mech to make sure even if it cost you a minor service if local.
Good point - the mechanic will likely be more helpful if you are having the car serviced there.

I can assure you that when they let go, repairing bent valves on these engines is a big job.

And mine was because a tensioner bearing failed, not the belt. And it was only 20k km old.

If you like the car, it's not worth the risk. If you don't know if it's been done, do it. It's not that big a job, although the parts are a bit on the pricey side.

Be careful of cheap bearings. My saving a few bucks cost a whole lot more in the end.

I have a similar problem with my 407 - seller told me he changed the belt about 5-10,000km back. I have no proof though, even though he seemed honest and other items he told me about have been verified. Will likely open it up and change the belt, while checking water pump and tensioner as the cost is small compared to a failure. Mine is only just past the recommended change interval

Good point - the mechanic will likely be more helpful if you are having the car serviced there.

He is way down the peninsula near red hill
Bit far to go for a service.
God knows how I'd get home and back in public transport.
Will try ringing him again
Thanks all

You are right - not much public transport in Red Hill so if you got a service there stay around while it is done.
Or if you got to Dromana (taxi?) there's a 788 or 887 bus to Frankston then train to Mordialloc Staion and bus 903 to Box Hill North. That's the morning taken care of then time for a bit of lunch before getting back on the bus for the return trip. :(

Silly question but does the previous owner have the service records that they would have been given over the years?