406 Air conditioner noise

groongal

Tadpole
On a recent trip to Melbourne a loud presistant Click......Clack......Click noise developed in the air conditioner system emenating from the region of the heater fan. The noise maintained the same slow click clack regardless of the fan setting. We had a mechanic who seemed to know what he was doing look at it and he advised that it was caused by the "heater flap control motor" and he told us that they failed fairly frequently. We were on our way home to western NSW and did not have time to wait for the procurement of a spare. I later enquired about a "Heater falp control motor" from a Peugeot dealer and was told that there was no such part. He suggested that I needed a heater fan Price $480-00.

I would appreciate any advice as to what the promlem could be and what spare part may need replacing.

Heater Noise...

groongal said:
On a recent trip to Melbourne a loud presistant Click......Clack......Click noise developed in the air conditioner system emenating from the region of the heater fan. The noise maintained the same slow click clack regardless of the fan setting. We had a mechanic who seemed to know what he was doing look at it and he advised that it was caused by the "heater flap control motor" and he told us that they failed fairly frequently. We were on our way home to western NSW and did not have time to wait for the procurement of a spare. I later enquired about a "Heater falp control motor" from a Peugeot dealer and was told that there was no such part. He suggested that I needed a heater fan Price $480-00.

I would appreciate any advice as to what the promlem could be and what spare part may need replacing.

Does the noise vary in "frequency" according to the speed setting of the fan ?
If it does , then it is most likely a piece of foreign material in the fan blades, like a leaf or piece of paper off the dash. Very worst case a fan bearing.

If it happens when you change from recirc to fresh, ie change the position of the heater flaps or dampers then it could be the control motor as your mechanic suggested. $ 480 seems very expensive, but I am no expert on FWD Pugs.

EAI may have spare parts if it a common problem with model

regards

Robert

robmac said:
If it happens when you change from recirc to fresh, ie change the position of the heater flaps or dampers then it could be the control motor as your mechanic suggested. $ 480 seems very expensive, but I am no expert on FWD Pugs.

From memory it's a little plastic gear on the heater flap that fails regularly, and not the fan blower (which is what the $480 quote is for). If it's not in the right spot (due to the gear stripping) then it will spend its life trying to position itself in the right spot, possibly causing the clicking noise you are hearing.

I have no personal experience with this but I recall reading about it a fair bit on these forums. Maybe a search for this would yield something useful?

Something like this: 405 heater is what I'm talking about.

A heater fan "failure" in a 505 is usually accompanied by a howling noise reminiscent of the Baskervilles.
Easily cured by removing the 7, (from memory), clips holding the motor housing, (there is no point in being gentle about preserving the firewall insulation as it will crumble like the mummies wrap at the slightest touch). :doh: Slipping the fan assembly out, disconnecting the wires. Remove the three studs or screws holding the motor in the moulding and you have just flayed your first heater fan.
Liberally bath the motor in CRC trying to drown the bushes in lubricant. Let sit for a few hours and drown again. :snail:
Turn out the motor and let sit for a few more hours turning every hour to allow excess CRC to drain. :adrink:
Now re-assemble, put up with the odour of spray can lube for a month or so and wait until it howls again in a year or so. :rolleyes:

I am trying to devise a more permanent fix as we speak as the Hound hath returned...... :chase: :dead:

Repair

Search for Tamiya on this site u should find a repair slinorycant say more as time running out on this link

Graelin
If
Gamma said:
A heater fan "failure" in a 50h ch5 is usually accompanied by a howling noise reminiscent of the Baskervilles.
Easily cured by removing the 7, (from memory), clips holding the motor housing, (there is no point in being gentle about preserving the firewall insulation as it will crumble like the mummies wrap at the slightest touch). :doh: Slipping the fan assembly out, disconnecting the wires. Remove the three studs or screws holding the motor in the moulding and you have just flayed your first heater fan.
Liberally bath the motor in CRC trying to drown the bushes in lubricant. Let sit for a few hours and drown again. :snail:
Turn out the motor and let sit for a few more hours turning every hour to allow excess CRC to drain. :adrink:
Now re-assemble, put up with the odour of spray can lube for a month or so and wait until it howls again in a year or so. :rolleyes:

I am trying to devise a more permanent fix as we speak as the Hound hath returned...... :chase: :dead:

robmac said:
Does the noise vary in "frequency" according to the speed setting of the fan ?
If it does , then it is most likely a piece of foreign material in the fan blades, like a leaf or piece of paper off the dash. Very worst case a fan bearing.

EAI may have spare parts if it a common problem with model

regards

Robert
The frequency of the noise does not change with the fan speed setting, so I guess the problem is with the heater flap motor that the spare parts fellow said did not exist! Perhaps I shall try EAI!

Ok, anyone want to point it out from the picture?

I'm thinking it's item 6, as its slightly obscure title is "reduction gear - with regulation/air temp" but I could be wrong :)

Oh - and the Tamiya search is a good one: 406 climate control

Attachments

• heater.gif
    heater.gif
    13.1 KB · Views: 494
It probably is the flap control motor that directs air either from outside or inside the car.
It was the case on our R19 and the part was a stripped gear and cost about 160. I did the work myself which meant discharging the A/C gas and moving the dash out to gain access to the flap motor.
Hope the Pug is simpler.
The Nissan/Renault dealer told me that the same part is $300+ for Nissans.
However, if you search the Forum you'll find a fix that Haakon describes and it's cheap and simple. ( from memory it involves a vac. set up, which i noticed also on an Audi 80 V6 i worked on)
Let us know how it works out and good luck

Flap Control

The flap control easy fix is disconect and noise will stop. I have disconected mine and some day will get it out and fix. Most just get disconected.

Graelin

Graelin said:
The flap control easy fix is disconect and noise will stop. I have disconected mine and some day will get it out and fix. Most just get disconected.

Graelin
Thanks Graelin, that is what I shall do, disconnect the flap control and worry about it some other time!

Robert :banana:

Make sure you disconnect it in the open position :wink2: . I only use it when I go through the Shittylink tunnels - gets pretty fumey down there :blackeye: