405SRDT Timing belt fit & brake problems.

Biodiesel

Fellow Frogger
I picked up my '94(late) 405srdt today. (Private sale - X Riverina car) It is due for a timing belt. I bought the dreaded Haynes manual, & job dosent seem to look too forbidding. Are there any tricks & traps to rebelting the diesels??
Also there is a brake problem in that the pedal goes hard after first application. Will look for the usual valve/diaphram/vacuum/hoses problems, but I have also heard (these 'heards' are dangerous) that the brake hoses may be due for replacement - aside from external cracking etc, how do you tell a bad hose?
Other than that the car has been well maintained. It has gone 180K kms.(I will change all fluids.) What is the best oil to use in the gearbox? Is Moly OK to use in box also?
Please help a newbie!
Doug
PS I got a Lite-on Cruise control kit ($150 after haggling) to fit on, so will give the guff after fitting. (They look like the ducks-guts)

Sounds like a good buy. 180 clicks is nothing for one of these cars. Just some thing to watch for is any oil leak via the head gaskit tricky to spot but believe me you dont want to see this.
Replace the glow plugs, not cheap I know but this will clarify if you have any other problems and always make sure you complete the warming cycle prior to turning the engine over.
Regarding the brakes, I recently overhauled my 405's and installed the larger volume brake booster off the 405 STI along with the rear swing arm and disc brake assembly from the same car.
Look for perforations on the hoses on the rear swing arms and check for leaks from the proportioning valve mounted on the right side of the swing arm. These all gave me trouble. Have the brake bled at a shop its worth the extra....
Good luck with the car let us know how you get on.

[ 23 January 2002: Message edited by: James ]</p>

Thanks for the info. I pulled the rear brakes apart today, and the brakes all need work: reline rear, reface front discs, etc.
All the brake hoses look Ok from outside. What do you look for when they fail? (there is no sign of crimps etc, and they have external springs around them to protect them.)
There is also oil getting down the vacuum line- there was oil in the non-return valve. Does this indicate a problem with the vacuum pump? (cam driven type).
Also the Aussie 405SRDT use rear slave cylinders with valves internally. What is their purpose? (are they a pressure limiting valve?.)

regards Doug (A curious type)

For timing belt help, try the Citoen BX message board. The people in it are all in the UK & the BX deisel is the same as the Pug deisel.

<a href="http://members4.boardhost.com/citroen_bx/" target="_blank">http://members4.boardhost.com/citroen_bx/</a>

good luck,
Shane L.

Hi Doug,

We had a bit of a discussion about gearbox additives a while ago. On there, a few people including me recommended Nulon @ $15 a pop. Slick 50 (gearbox) is probably better, but is double or more in price.

Well I can only say now that the 'box on my R12 has become slicker and slicker. Great stuff. It operates like a switch now...

Cheers

Stu