405 suspension rattle

mi16_weapon

Fellow Frogger
was wondering if anyone could give me an idea of whats going on/how to fix it...

my 92 mi16 has developed a new rattle, it seems to be coming from the front left suspension its kinda hard to describe (it kinda sounds like "rattle, rattle. rattle, rattle :rolleyes: )... i think its gotta be suspension, cos it seems to rattle over everybump, not just the ones i feel in the cabin, it doesnt rattle louder over bigger bumps or anyhhing, its just pretty consistant. i donty think its affected the feel of the car, although it hasnt felt quite the same since i got new tyres and they stuffed up my wheel alignment. (has since been fixed, but still doesnt feel right)

anybody got any suggestions??

i was thinking maybe its something as simple as a loose rubber or bolt (not that i want any loose bolts in my suspension..)

please help.

ta..

kriss

rattle and hum

The rattle is almost certainly the upper strut rubber mounts, which have perished. You can drive with them in this condition for years if you can put up with the noise (I have). The easy way to diagnose this for sure is to jack up each side of the car and grab the wheel and push it violently upwards while looking at the top of the strut. I'll bet dollars to donuts that's where your lost motion is.

M. Tippett said:
The rattle is almost certainly the upper strut rubber mounts, which have perished. You can drive with them in this condition for years if you can put up with the noise (I have). The easy way to diagnose this for sure is to jack up each side of the car and grab the wheel and push it violently upwards while looking at the top of the strut. I'll bet dollars to donuts that's where your lost motion is.

he he "rattle and hum" so u2 had this problem?? :roflmao:

if thats what it is, do you know how involved its gonna be to fix? spensive? or can i do it in a couple of hours?? i might consult my friendly haynes manual huh?

suspension

mi16_weapon said:
if thats what it is, do you know how involved its gonna be to fix? spensive? or can i do it in a couple of hours?? i might consult my friendly haynes manual huh?

It would involve removal of two driveshafts, the suspension units from the car, a spring compressor and probably about 4 hours of workshop time. It's potentialy DIY if you have the right tools. I don't and my 405 is worth about $1000, so that's why mine remains undone. I could remove the suspension units allright but then I'd have to pay someone to compress the springs and replace the bushings/steering swivels....

My Mi16 had a suspension rattle at one time. By what you describe it was the same thing. My mechanic fixed it, he said it was a "loose" strut. I understood that it only needed to be tightened, I'm not sure how, but he definitely didn't remove any of the suspension.

John

My mi16 has a rattle/noise in the suspension but my wife and I can't agree on where it's coming from. :rolleyes:

Anyway, it sort of sounds like gas shock compressing and uncompressing but sort of not. I suppose it could also sound like "rattle rattle rattle" :) Am I being too sensitive to the noises in my "new" car or is that how the shocks are supposed to sound.

I'll have to try the shove-the-wheel-upwards test.

Vegas said:
Am I being too sensitive to the noises in my "new" car or is that how the shocks are supposed to sound.

ok, i might do the jack up and wheel wobble test on saturday, and see if i can find anything else that may be loose.. i really dont wanna be taking her to the mechanic to have half the suspension removed (iguess i need new cv boots anyway..).

vegas- you can never be to sensitive to the needs of your pug, she needs your love!!

405 Strut Rattle

My S1 405 had an annoying rattle which turned out to be a loose nut at the top of the strut.
Needed a 7mm allen key to tighten it. But all quiet.
The next rattle was all the balls leaving the intermediate bearing on the drive shaft though... a bit more difficult to fix..