405 srdt dip stick

andrewj

Fellow Frogger
Hi Everyone,

Hopefully a simple question :rolleyes:
I've got two 96 405srdt wagons with two different length dipsticks. The oil filler housing in the same in both cars.
So... question is, how do know which one is correct?

Cheers,
Andrew

broken plastic dipsticks? they are probably both wrong :ROFLMAO: i think it was the bx that had a plastic dipstick that tended to break

good car
both the XUD9 and XUD9T have the same dipstick, part #117293
it should be 500mm
this is difficult to explain but I'll try
its measured from the underside of the plug to the tip of the dipstick, if that makes any sense
or
total length from end to end is 560mm

the plug top that slots into the oil filler is plastic and crumbles away after 10 or 15 years so you may be on your second or third
as the plastic top totally crumbles away (probably sitting down in the sump) some owners just leave it with a bare metal dipstick that no longer measures and the hole open to the engine bay
its about $50 for a new one but its one of those parts that would be difficult to make your own as you need both the seal and the right length

the only other lenght diesel dipstick was for one of the XUD7's that is 526mm plug to tip
maybe you have one from some other car mfgr altogether ?

good car
both the XUD9 and XUD9T have the same dipstick, part #117293
it should be 500mm
this is difficult to explain but I'll try
its measured from the underside of the plug to the tip of the dipstick, if that makes any sense
or
total length from end to end is 560mm

the plug top that slots into the oil filler is plastic and crumbles away after 10 or 15 years so you may be on your second or third
as the plastic top totally crumbles away (probably sitting down in the sump) some owners just leave it with a bare metal dipstick that no longer measures and the hole open to the engine bay
its about $50 for a new one but its one of those parts that would be difficult to make your own as you need both the seal and the right length

the only other lenght diesel dipstick was for one of the XUD7's that is 526mm plug to tip
maybe you have one from some other car mfgr altogether ?
Hi run205,

That's perfect. One of the dipsticks matches the description for 117923. The other is longer (but looks very similar).

The 405 SRDT wagons are an amazing car! I'm going to order a couple while they are still available, so I can enjoy drip free driving for many years to come :)

Cheers,
Andrew

i loved my 405 srdt wagon, i got a dip stick from cullens of nambore QLD ,if you are unsure about the length .just drain the oil and measure the correct amount back in, then see what the stick says ,!

good plan andrew, many years no doubt
I was even able to get one from my local peugeot dealer couple years ago, in stock !

(you could potentially keep the longer one as a stopgap with a little heath robinson/jerry rigging
assumong its the 526mm version, maybe cut off the extra 26mm and move your top and bottom marks up 26mm with a file)