405 SRDT AC pulley removal

3DB

Tadpole
Evening all,

I recently bought (in collaboration with my brother) our grandfather's 1994 405 SRDT before it was traded on a Mazda 2.

It has a couple of issues, the first of which is a bad AC bearing. My brother had an initial attempt at removing it, but it looks like we'll need a special tool to hold the pulley while removing the bolts.

Can anyone recommend a suitable and inexpensive tool?

AC pulley.jpg

Rattle gun

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
Fix it right the first time

Hello Team,

I now have my 405 SRDT safely in Sydney. It was a smooth drive back down and it returned excellent fuel economy of around 5L/100 km. I ended up having to get the AC pulley issue 'fixed' by a mechanic in Brisbane as I just didn't have the time to fly up, stuff around with it myself and then drive back. Long story short, they fixed the bearing and somehow stuffed a seal in the process. It was working fine apart from the bearing when it went in, but now 'won't hold gas'. I'm keen to have a go at rectifying this myself as much as possible now that I have the car at home and am wondering if you have any thoughts on my options in terms of the compressor:
  1. Try to replace the seal in the existing one.
  2. Try to source a secondhand compressor.
  3. Try to find a rebuilt unit.
  4. Buy a new one.
  5. Other options?