405 origin

LuLu

Fellow Frogger
Is there anyway of finding where my 95/405srtd was assembled? was the motor built in France?Is it possible to put a diesel motor into a petrol 405?

Diesel Conversion

LuLu said:
Is there anyway of finding where my 95/405srtd was assembled? was the motor built in France?Is it possible to put a diesel motor into a petrol 405?

Not a good idea to put a diesel motor into a 405 built for a petrol engine. Having watched Peugeots being built I was told that the robots put many more welds into a car configured for a diesel engine. Diesel engines are a little, or were, less smooth than a petrol engine and also heavier to withstand the additional stresses of combustion, longer stroke and stuff like that. In addition I think the suspension set up would be different too as the springs would be heavier or at least tuned for the diesel engine. When choosing our 405 we drove back to back a petrol vesion and a diesel version. The diesel was far more together than the petrol version, perhaps more rigid in its construction so it turned in more responsively.

I believe all RH drive 405s were built in England.

I've got a '93 405 SRDT. I believe it was built in France. My vin No. starts VF....I understand 'F' stands for Manufactured in France ?
Cheers
Wint