405 MI16x4 Computer

Chris Nielsen

Fellow Frogger
Hi peoples...

My 405 MI16x4's engine computer had a drink of water the other day and is screwed. Having trouble getting one here in New Zealand, I guess due to the fact it's a UK import..

Can anyone recommend a good place to get one from???

I can supply the numbers if anyone's feeling adventurous!!

See ya!

Chris Nielsen

Are they any different to any other Mi16?
I can't see why they should be; possibly a Motronic 1:3 or 4:1 :confused:

Alan S

Chris Nielsen said:
Hi peoples...

My 405 MI16x4's engine computer had a drink of water the other day and is screwed. Having trouble getting one here in New Zealand, I guess due to the fact it's a UK import..

Can anyone recommend a good place to get one from???

I can supply the numbers if anyone's feeling adventurous!!

See ya!

Chris Nielsen

Chris, that sounds really realy serious. from what you say, your car is now totally stuffed, and it will actually continue to cost you money if you hold on to it. What you need to do is ship it over to me, and ill make sure you never have to worry about it again!!

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

please?? ill be ur best friend!

The 160 hp Mi16x4 and the 160hp Mi16 have the same basic ECU, but the Mi16x4 has a 7300 rev. limit. If you can live with the lesser rev limit you should be able to pick one up cheaply. Try Pugspares in the UK.

Sounds like the perfect opportunity to upgrade though. I just helped Owen fit a Haltech E6S to his Mi16x4. It has totally transformed the car. It has heaps more low end punch and can now overtake effortlessly in 5th from 100km/h. We've still got some more mapping to do to improve the top end, but the rest is amazing.

Chris,
i have a UK spec 160hp computer for sale. i'm in sunny Brisbane.
cheers jr

PeterT said:
The 160 hp Mi16x4 and the 160hp Mi16 have the same basic ECU, but the Mi16x4 has a 7300 rev. limit. If you can live with the lesser rev limit you should be able to pick one up cheaply. Try Pugspares in the UK.

Sounds like the perfect opportunity to upgrade though. I just helped Owen fit a Haltech E6S to his Mi16x4. It has totally transformed the car. It has heaps more low end punch and can now overtake effortlessly in 5th from 100km/h. We've still got some more mapping to do to improve the top end, but the rest is amazing.

Hmmm... Haltech sounds expensive!!!!

We have, of course, the world-famous Link ECU made right here in New Zealand...

Might be worth looking into...

The car *does* start at the moment, but only if you whip the heat gun out and give it a blast of warm air for a few minutes...

See ya!

Chris

jr20516v said:
Chris,
i have a UK spec 160hp computer for sale. i'm in sunny Brisbane.
cheers jr

Cool! I'm in rainy New Zealand :)

I don't know how much difference between the different computers there is... I guess the numbers could be quite important.

The numbers on mine are on the right hand sticker, the red one with BOSCH on it. Numbers are:

0 261 200 355

Other than the numbers, how can we tell if it's going to work????

See ya!

Chris

Alan S said:
Are they any different to any other Mi16?
I can't see why they should be; possibly a Motronic 1:3 or 4:1 :confused:

Alan S

I'm sure there's bugger all difference between the ones sold here or in the UK.. But because there are apparently quite a few different numbers, and someone told me some of them have different connectors, I'm loathe to stick any old MI16 computer in...

If I could be confident the numbers aren't too important, then I've got a choice of several computers available locally...

A pug man in Auckland has also informed me the Jap spec MI16 computer won't work - we get lots of Jap imports here, and I'm sure there's a number of MI16's that have come in from Japland, so I'd have to be sure it was a NZ-New or UK import computer

Chris Nielsen said:
We have, of course, the world-famous Link ECU made right here in New Zealand...

Chris

Hi Chris

do you know where i can get one of these in NZ?

cheers

ECU

Suggestion (if you haven't already done so):

1) remove ECU
2) dismantle Motronic case
3) remove circuit board
4) hang up by a string near a heat lamp
5) spray liberally on both sides with MolySlip COMBAT (corrosion inhibitor, hydrofuge) spray
6) let stand for a day, spray again and then reassemble with acetic acid-free silicone sealant
7) start car + hope for good result

I did this to my 405 DL (CDN specification) Motronic ECU when it had a drink nearly 4 years ago and it's been just fine ever since.

Beats the hell out of buying another one...

M. Tippett said:
Suggestion (if you haven't already done so):

We've dried it out, but it needs the application of heat to make it work :cry:

I might try cleaning the PCB and see if that helps...

Cheers

Chris

Good luck with the hairdrying Nick.

Just a comment on the side. I know the Link computers pretty well as we used to fit them to WRXs but with respect to it and the great company that produces it (I'm a major Possum fan and always will be), it really doesn't have the smooth mapping of some of the better engine management computers around like the Haltech, Motec and Autronic.

I raced a 2.2 stroked WRX the other day with a Link and despite an experienced tuner trying to map it, it was very rough to drive. This is not just my experience but based on being part of the WRX club here with 10's of members having fitted different programmable ECUs. In Perth at least, the default is either a Motec or an Autronic and I know Peter and others over East have had great success with Haltechs. I'm running an Autronic with my Mi16 motor with TBs and it's been great.

Anyway, just my 2 cents and again, good luck with drying out your computer. If you can revive a Nokia phone from a toilet swim, you can revive an Mi16 ECU :)

Cheers
Steve

Weelll....

Doesn't surprise me the Link isn't as good!!! I guess they are cheaper for a reason!!!

The guy from Peugeot says even after washing and cleaning the computer it's not happy. Reckons it will get me home but not a whole lot more. I got hold of a computer from another MI16, and although it works OK, he tells me the car's running lean and having trouble idling..

Next he tells me the superchip was probably installed because someone's done the cam! Which explains the rough idle it's always had, plus the cough + puff of black smoke when you floor it from idle...

Sounds like it's crying out for an aftermarket computer!!!

Or, the other conclusion I can draw is the original computer with super chip was the business, but the computer's gotten damaged, so if I swap the superchip over to the new computer it will restore it to how it's meant to go...

Or maybe I'm dreaming, maybe it's the horror of paying someone 9 hours labour at NZ$65 / hr for this little drama that's made me nuts

See ya

chris

WRX2PUG said:
Just a comment on the side. I know the Link computers pretty well as we used to fit them to WRXs but with respect to it and the great company that produces it (I'm a major Possum fan and always will be), it really doesn't have the smooth mapping of some of the better engine management computers

looks like I will try to get one of the other brands then :)