405 Mi16 mods

mangist

Fellow Frogger
Hi,

I have owned a 405 Mi16 for a month now and I'm interested in doing some mods to it. First to mind is a K&N but I've heard that the Mi16 intake/filter system is excellent and putting a K&N setup on will not improve performance at all?. Is this true?. Already has an upgraded exhaust system and muffler, although the cat hasn't been removed. Removing the cat is a bit dodgy for getting a WOF etc, but adds 10hp apparently?.

Does anyone have good knowledge of Mi16 modifications and can recommend what is the best performance/price mods to start with to setup around 200hp. Currently around 165-170hp. Without having to spend $4000 on a Haltech computer etc,..

Also if anyone knows of a good Peugeot performance garage in Auckland, NZ that would help too.

Cheers

mangist said:
Hi,

I have owned a 405 Mi16 for a month now and I'm interested in doing some mods to it. First to mind is a K&N but I've heard that the Mi16 intake/filter system is excellent and putting a K&N setup on will not improve performance at all?. Is this true?. Already has an upgraded exhaust system and muffler, although the cat hasn't been removed. Removing the cat is a bit dodgy for getting a WOF etc, but adds 10hp apparently?.

Does anyone have good knowledge of Mi16 modifications and can recommend what is the best performance/price mods to start with to setup around 200hp. Currently around 165-170hp. Without having to spend $4000 on a Haltech computer etc,..

Also if anyone knows of a good Peugeot performance garage in Auckland, NZ that would help too.

Cheers

A couple of questions first. If you've got 165-170hp why does it have a cat? Which model Mi16 is it? XU9J4, XU9J4Z or XU10J4?

One thing is for sure though. Unless your handy with the spanners and can do a lot of the work yourself, you won't get a genuine 200hp (flywheel) without spending near $4000.

Mmm,

For $4000, might as well sell the car and spend $12k on a 400hp rotary :). Why would it cost $4000 for 40hp? That seems ridiculous especially with the Mi16 head. Ported, enlarged valves, race cams + k&N setup for $2000 will surely give 40hp? Any idea if you can get turbo kits for these in NZ or Aus because there do exist turbo 405s.

damn.

Last edited:
mangist said:
Mmm,

For $4000, might as well sell the car and spend $12k on a 400hp rotary :)

damn.

you could well do that and join the mobs of sheep
or
you could stay different and blow them away when you find that next corner
also you won't have service station constipation either

your choice
good luck

You didn't answer my questions. That info determines the cost.

What about fuel pump, injectors, fuel pressure regulator, something to run the engine because the standard computer sure isn't going to do it with race cams.

I guess you could just use the factory stuff for a while until it blows up. ;)

mangist said:
Mmm,

For $4000, might as well sell the car and spend $12k on a 400hp rotary :). Why would it cost $4000 for 40hp? That seems ridiculous especially with the Mi16 head. Ported, enlarged valves, race cams + k&N setup for $2000 will surely give 40hp? Any idea if you can get turbo kits for these in NZ or Aus because there do exist turbo 405s.

damn.

mangist

Porting and larger valves alone do not give you much of an increase unless you have the UK spec engine with the higher compression. I have done this recently after snapping my timing belt and found only about a 5% increase(this is estimated as I did not have a before Dyno) Peter and I have been talking about a re ground inlet cam which will hopefully give more of an increase, still using the standard ECU and will hopefully make better use of the flow potential of the head.
If you are currently making 165-170Bhp, there must be some exsisting Mods as the standard Mi16 has 145 bhp (XU9J4Z motor with Cat)

Removing the cat makes no difference what so ever, with maybe the exception of a slight increase in economy( so I'm told :) )

Ky

Take the A/C compressor off and put a blower there instead. ;)

Cal.

Cal said:
Take the A/C compressor off and put a blower there instead. ;)

Cal.

Yeah, you like your superchargers don't you Cal :dance:

I own a phase 2 mi-16 xu10j4 i have a straight through stainless exhaust system,custom induction kit modified from a sierra cosworth rs500 (huge induction noise) and i have a rolling road print out of 174.5bhp@the fly a stage 2 head,uprated cams and a full port and polish will easily see u at 200bhp with out a doubt i should point out mine is a uk car

there is a company in england called prism motorsport who can make up a turbocharger kit for the mi16 and it is estimated to give you between 220 and 240hp. You can then ad a big valve head which has the potential to go too 300hp if not more. I was on the phone to him today and he said he can get you more hp if you want but it will cost loads. Standard turbo kit is about £4000 all in.

i have a 309mi16 kicking out 168bhp with just the standard engine..k&n and a 4-2-1 manifold onto my scorpion...
going turbo with this engine can be a lot of hassle as its an ali block...na is the best approach.....
decent tb setup is around £2500 including fitting and mapping....
big valve head and cams...around £1500
85mm forged pistons..about £600 iirc
and if you use the lot and lighten/balance your bottom end you'll be around 230-240bhp and the car will still be fairly traffic friendly

http://www.pumaracing.co.uk/pug16v.htm