405 MI16 Fuel Pump relay?

Chris T

Tadpole
Hi All,

Is this the Fuel pump relay from a 405 MI16 xuj94?

And if it is do they fail?

Thanks

Chris

Relay 1.jpg

nope, that's not it. It's in a black box near the engine mount and has a fat, white wires running to/from it, #76. Yes they fail.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-05-10 at 9.38.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-10 at 9.38.14 PM.png
    91.2 KB · Views: 262
Last edited:
Thanks Peter T

These are the only other relays I can find on the car apart from in the fuse box. These are mounted in a blackbox on the passenger side in front of the scuttle plate.20190511_165919.jpg20190511_170006.jpg20190511_170023.jpg

BTW Not sure if you remember my car, it's a Charcoal 205 MI16, which you did the rear beam and handbrake cables on a few years ago.

You said for a 405, not a 205. Very different. The fuel pump relay for a 205 will either be in a black box, behind the LH headlight (Jetronic) or up near the ECU, under the dash (Motronic). I can't recall any other oem locations/variations. The only other possibility could be if you're running a full 405 Mi16 loom. Regardless, look for a thick white wire, #76 or #76A.

Found it in a black box on the drivers side above the wheel arch, underneath what I think is AC piping.

Changed the relay, still no Fuel pump :cry:

UFO beat me to it. Hot wire the pump see what happens.

You can also check the relay before you go buy another one yet again. But also check the relay is powered and has signal.

All of that after checking the pump.

Thanks, all. The car had been running. After sitting for a couple of weeks while I was away, it wouldn't start.

It has spark, but doesn't have power at the fuel pump fuse.

I'll check I have the right replacement relay, and also check power the fuel pump itself.

I've had this problem with two Mi16s that had been sitting for a while. I hardwired 12v direct to the pump, which got them working. From then on the wire could be removed and the pump worked as normal.

What Graham is saying sounds like pump dried perhaps with some tiny residue left behind by drying fuel that locked it up a bit, just enough that it doesn't want to move that easily. Happens in carbies as well and you can have the float stuck or some such. Hot wiring it probably gives it more power, maybe just enough that it starts spinning again.