gibgib

Local Tyrant
Staff member
Administrator
VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
I like the sound of our 405 STI's horn - has an authority sound to it
smile.gif

I need to change the pissy one in the Berlingo so it doesn't sound like "please, pretty please, get out of my way"

The avatar image is the real me so no need for a mask...

Still need to horn though, anyone have one for sale?

does it have to be a 405 horn?
if not the air horns at autobarn (or other auto store) are pretty similar, in fact the compressors are identical in some cases.
it's just different sized horns that give it a different note.

The 405 horn is electric, no compressor.
I don't remember the 205 having a pissed off
mad.gif
sounding horn like the 405 one has.
Berlingo's is an embarrassment
frown.gif

hi gibgib you have most likely work something out already,but try the bosch electric horns kit,part no 9320335007850 they are a twin set high and low tone,scare little grannies of the road,

I haven't done anything about it yet
eek.gif

What I do is be patient
smile.gif

It's too embarrassing to use it.

Do you know how much that one is?

PS. thanks for looking it up
wink.gif

Hi Gibgib,

I have the same problem with the BX, it's not the horn is bad, it's downright embarasing. I refuse to use it, hanging your head out the window and letting them have it is much more effective. However the CX is bloody fantastic, it has a good electric horn, but push a little harder on the horn switch and you cut in duel air horns, that are loud enough to wake the dead (nearly!).

Had a woman in a highace van pull right out in front of me recently, just hit both sides of the pods in the CX cutting in the air horns and high beam flashers (2 / 110watts lights and air horns that sound like a train). Saw her head lift all the way and hit the roof of the van (a good 20cm's). Felt very satisfied with myself
biggrin.gif
bet she had to change her dacks as soon as she got home!!
eek.gif

I really must fit air horns to the BX, just never get time to do it... Maybe on old Renault 12 horn will work for you?? I think you may be dissapointed with all new car horns, they are all crap.... Last time a took my CX for a roadworthy it was knocked back as it had air horns fitted... I was told to remove them, which I refused telling him he hasn't got a hope in hell of getting them removed, they are a factory fitting, and showed him the two stage switch on the dash. He also knocked it back on the front brake lines.

Went home, put some 'Armour all' on the brake lines, took it back, he said "blow the horns", so I pushed the button lightly cutting only the first stage horn in, he saw the nice shiny brake lines and passed it. I drove off with the RWC, and gave him a couple of blasts with the air horns as I left (to say goodbye and good rittance, I'll never go there again). I even showed the fool the two way switch and told him he wouldn't have a rats arse hope in hell of me removing them.
rolleyes.gif

These RWC are just getting pedantic and pathetic in what they pick/want done.

seeya,
Shane L.

When I lived on the Gold Coast I bought a D off a guy at Tweed Heads. He had a DS that he was going ape trying to get passed prior to registering.
The chief machinery inspector at South Tweed in those days was what in the UK they call a "jobsworth." You know the kind - "Yeah, you could be right but the book says ....... so I couldn't pass it 'coz it'd be more than me jobs worth"
rolleyes.gif

Among the list of nitpicking stupidity were these classics;
Engine number MUST be stamped on the actual block. - Response: All Citroens have the engine number attached by a plate. Answer to response - Don't be bloody stupid, I'm not that stupid, that's the part number of the motor.
Handbrake MUST operate on the rear wheels. _ Comment from inspector: I've never seen a handbrake that works on the front wheels; make it work on the back. Must be some bodgie modification someone's done.
Response: These have always has the handbrake on the front wheels; how can I change it? Response: I don't know or care how you change it just so long as when you bring it back the handbrake is on the rear wheels like every other car.
As a passing comment he also advised the owner to be sure he had the headlights aligned properly before it came back for a re-test as they seemed to be just "flapping around in there and pointing in all directions." The owner made no comment.
As a post script to this; another guy down there who owned a string of butchers shops also had trouble with this goose rejecting a couple of hot rods he'd fully built at enormous expense & just for spite he put some kind of notice on these cars which would have prevented him ever registering them. The butcher was a bit sharp for the clown. He immediately hired a car carrier, loaded his cars on it & went straight through to Sydney & went to a couple of Government testing stations including apparently the head one. The cars passed with flying colours so he duly rolled up to the Govt Dept concerneds head office with the cars on the back & the certificates issued in Sydney as well as the notices served on him at the Tweed & asked for an official opinion; was the guy at Tweed more efficient than the ones in Sydney & at HQ or was he in fact waging a vendetta??
I trust he found another job to suit his talents, because he didn't have the chief inspector at the Tweed's job by the time the butcher got home
smile.gif

My mate took his D down immediately after the butcher got back (they knew each other) & it passed no problem.
It's a story I have related to RWC guys in the past just prior to having a car inspected. Some already know about it & it always seems to have a positive effect when they aren't really sure whether something is a borderliner
biggrin.gif

Alan S

I think I will put up with it unless a second hand ex-French vehicle one turns up.
I'll just yell at them
biggrin.gif

------------------
gibgib.gif

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Alan S:
Engine number MUST be stamped on the actual block. - Response: All Citroens have the engine number attached by a plate. Answer to response - Don't be bloody stupid, I'm not that stupid, that's the part number of the motor.

Renault also have a plate rivetted on, but have the engine number stamped in as well to suit our rules... at least the R16 did...

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Handbrake MUST operate on the rear wheels. _ Comment from inspector: I've never seen a handbrake that works on the front wheels; make it work on the back. Must be some bodgie modification someone's done.
Response: These have always has the handbrake on the front wheels; how can I change it? Response: I don't know or care how you change it just so long as when you bring it back the handbrake is on the rear wheels like every other car.
As a passing comment he also advised the owner to be sure he had the headlights aligned properly before it came back for a re-test as they seemed to be just "flapping around in there and pointing in all directions." The owner made no comment.

You sure this joker had ever seen a car before? Bet you'd have bothers if you took something seriously different to him... like a vintage car...

Ray,

I think this guy would have felt at home with veteran cars - it would have been in keeping with the rest of his mentality. That area of the Country seems to attract a special class of bureacrat. When I had the Driving School at Surfers Paradise, we had one Transport Department bod who once decided to show us how well he knew the traffic act & started putting a stop watch on the trafficators. ("x" number of flashes in "y" number of seconds, the book says
rolleyes.gif
) He also did a lot of other very strange things, and after someone in the Driving School Industry made enquiries, we were told that a sure way to get rid of him was to question his competence through his departmental superiors and sign a petition to that effect. This we did & there was a departmental inquiry which agreed with us that he was incompetent. He was demoted to basically an office clerk. Last time I heard, he was the head of the Gold Coast branch of the Transport Department, which proves what a lot of people have often thought about our Transport Dept; Civility & friendliness & competency can lead to instant dismissal (this is not what this department is about) whilst incometence is considered a virtue due to the fact that the "Empire Builders" at the top feel safe from challenges to their positions by underlings if they know they are proven incompetents & they have the wood on them in case they start to seek promotion prematurely. I think it's known as the Sir Humphrey Syndrome
smile.gif

BTW gibgib, if the horn on your 405 is situated in the same stupid spot as my old BX was (near side behind the front bumper) chances are it's got water in the coil which is causing it to sound somewhat "shrieky." If you pull it out & clean it up it can then be adjusted using a small spanner (3" shifter ? ) on the locking nut & a small screwdriver on the bellows adjustment. I got my BX one working & was great to creap up on pushbikes with after. You just have to remember not to toot granny at midnight if you visit her at the nursing home.
eek.gif

Alan S

As I recall, that rule is one to two seconds per blink... something I remember from somewhere in the books...

Best trick I ever saw with a horn was at the Missenden Rd/Parramatta Rd intersection, some dill in an Austin 1800 (that was a large percentage of the drivers of 1800s, so nobody can say I'm talking about them!) did something wrong in front of a motorcycle... he then heard a huge blast from a truck's air horn...

Fitted to the motorcycle!

The 405 one is great & yes it is mounted behind the bumper as you state. Andreas mentioned it may be a compressor type but the one behind the bumper is an vibro electric one. Does sound like an airhorn though...it may have dual?

I had triple airhorns on my GS, they were good! I could switch to a motor siren & then back to the standard one.
They were the days!
cit_gs1_jpg.jpg

ps how do get icon that move at end or in the middle of your posts or is that a moderator perk. se ya

[This message has been edited by charles (edited 25 September 2001).]