405 doesn't disarm the immobiliser anymore - help needed urgently!

Austria Wild

Fellow Frogger
It's my '93 GLI saloon 2.0 auto:

This is the one without the keypad in the centre console and without the lockable switch behind the LH headlight.
It says in the manual the only way to arm/disarm the immobiliser is with the blip, which is of the one button variety. Last time the car was parked on my drive, it was locked with the blip, as always. If I now try to use it, it unlocks alright with the blip, but the red LED on the dash keeps blinking and the car won't start, to be precise, the starter motor doesn't even turn. When I then get out and lock the car with the blip, the alarm goes off. It goes out again after 30 seconds, exactly like it says in the book.
I have conducted an internet search, but nothing conclusive turned up, so I do hope you guys know how to tackle this. Otherwise I'm afraid it's scrappy time.

Just remove it and keep driving.

Holy dorongo. You just can't catch a break, can you?

Would you really scrap a car for that?

No idea how to fix it, I would do as Peter said. Hopefully there isn't some on board computer who will throw a fit if you remove/bypass the immobiliser.

It is obvious the immobiliser cuts power to the starter, it would probably disable the ignition and fuelling so I would look at how to wire those through the ignition directly.

If this can be fixed, the car will not be scrapped, but sold.
I had it with that newfangled tosh brim full with shit nobody ever asked for.

I'd remove that arse****ed immobiliser in a heartbeat if I had even the slightest clue how to do that.
It's not mentioned in the HBOL with one single word.

I got the car running by disconnecting the battery, pulling fuse 15 and reconnecting the battery.
But as soon as I reinstall that fuse, it's playing up again exactly as before.