404 Transmission weights

Andrew Watkins

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
A question about the two heavy rectangular rubber weights attached at the back of gearbox on 404

What is their purpose? My guess is that it is to deal with a vibration period in drive line, but this is only a guess and , as with most of my guesses, uneducated.

Does anybody know their history and purpose?

The question arises because some time ago, with an impressive mechanical „thud“ one dropped off and was duly retrieved, the heavy bit having come away from its mountings ( implying that it had been vibrating, possibly by design ) Same thing happened a while later and other one came off.

Pugsley still goes perfectly well, but is at a stage in life when he has an orchestra of rattles, tinkles, whistles and vibrations, some or all of which I would like to eliminate, hence the question.

Would welcome any comments, would also like to get another set

Best Wishes

Andrew

Vibration damper, Ford did the same thing with the TF Cortina.

mine both fell off they are still off !

It is a counterweight for balancing. We removed one from a live axle 504, made no difference at all.

Thanks to all for wisdom

I haven‘t noticed much difference either, although there are a number of competing noises at the moment, hence the question.

I do get a vibration period which feels transmission/driveline at about 105k, an annoying speed.

Can’t see „ wasn‘t speeding officer, was just trying to drive through a vibration period“ getting me very far

I generally take the view that Mr Peugeot was a rather better engineer than me( wouldn‘t be hard ) so may put some back on and see what happens, if I can get any. This especially because of the 105k vibration period.

Best Wishes

Andrew

Early Renault R8s with the 318 gearbox (non-synchro first gear) had two large iron blocks on big blocks of rubber at the back (i.e. front end) of the gearbox too. Not used on the later all synchro boxes. I presumed they were vibration dampers.

G'Day Andrew,

I purchased mine from here, Boutique de la 404. Gilles was most helpful. Although they were advertised as a set, he sold me the weights seprately. You can only ask. Service is great, but freight is a little expensive.

Cheers

Dan

1653480837063.png
https://boutique-de-la-404.com/en/pieces-nouvelles/343-support-bv-assemble.html

G'Day Andrew,

I purchased mine from here, Boutique de la 404. Gilles was most helpful. Although they were advertised as a set, he sold me the weights seprately. You can only ask. Service is great, but freight is a little expensive.

Cheers

Dan

View attachment 204994 https://boutique-de-la-404.com/en/pieces-nouvelles/343-support-bv-assemble.html
Nothing is expensive mate when you know damn well you'll probably never find another one. Did they work?

Anybody got some lurking in a wreck?

Ideally somewhere in Victoria

Putting them back may establishe whether they were a waste of time, although I can’t see good engineers putting something on which makes no difference

Andrew

Way back in the duplicator days Torque printed an overseas article on the engineering behind the suppression of road noise in the 404. The 404 was regarded as exceptional at the time. I haven't got the article.

I gather that Rolls Royce sued about the claim to be the quietest car on the road but were forced by the facts ( inconvenient things, facts ) to beat a strategic retreat, as the 404 was demonstrably quieter.

Pugsley ( aka Pigsley at the moment ) is rather too musical to take the battle up to RR at the moment, which prompted my question, as I want to restore a bit of peace and quiet.

Would be nice to get a copy of the article, shall ask around

Andrew

Way back in the duplicator days Torque printed an overseas article on the engineering behind the suppression of road noise in the 404. The 404 was regarded as exceptional at the time. I haven't got the article.

Noise-reduction design-features of the Peugeot 404.
Author: J C Dixon; M.I.R.A. 1962; 18 pages
Series: M.I.R.A. Report, 1963/2

This report 60 years ago by the UK Motor Industry Research Association is likely to be very informative but I've no idea where to find a pdf.
https://www.worldcat.org/title/nois...geot-404/oclc/887873282&referer=brief_results

Hi Andrew,have you checked torque tube to gearbox bolts (10mm Allen key head)recently has they can work loose over the years and create all sorts of noises? 505wagon at pick a part Kilsyth may have one on it,(rear mount with vibration dampers)otherwise Hayden at pugwreck?…Jim

Hi Andrew,have you checked torque tube to gearbox bolts (10mm Allen key head)recently has they can work loose over the years and create all sorts of noises? 505wagon at pick a part Kilsyth may have one on it,(rear mount with vibration dampers)otherwise Hayden at pugwreck?…Jim
Thanks

Hayden is looking for me, so far no luck

Trying a few other angles too and will go over the mounting bolts when I swap new weights in. Have two weeks of work ahead of me so shan't be able to get him up on the hoist for a while, during which I hope that enquiries may have paid off

Best Wishes

Andrew