404 tensioner

Edmund

Fellow Frogger
Hello folks my timing chain has had a rattling sound for a while, not too noisy but I don't like noise so I visited my mechanic and we had to use a new tensioner but both the old tensioner and new one needed an assistance of a self tapping screw to hold the tension. If you just fot the tensioner in position and lock it, it locks just fine but after you've replaced the timing cover etc and get ready to start the car, the first few seconds of starting it will rattle as if there's no oil or there's delayed pump action then it will idles nice and quiet thereafter, this lasts for about 5 seconds. So the mechanic removed the new tensioner which is probably cheap Chinese stuff and put back the old one which is likely original but the same thing happens unless you place a self tapping screw on the tensioner and keep it locked up, nice and tight. Do you guys know why it's doing this, could it be poor quality tensioners? Please advice, thanx.

The tension on the tensioner is not locked, but tensions up with oil pressure

Edmund,

Did you release the tensionior mechanis, after fitting the unit. There is a small hole omn the front where you insert a thing screwdriver etc to release it? Could be the problem.

1656716640692.png

Also the the gauze screen inserted properly. It is a cylindrical shape and goes in between the block and the back of the tensioner. It may be kinked or squashed, which could affect the oil flow.
1656717065283.png
1656717127206.png

Edmund,

Did you release the tensionior mechanis, after fitting the unit. There is a small hole omn the front where you insert a thing screwdriver etc to release it? Could be the problem.

View attachment 206811

Also the the gauze screen inserted properly. It is a cylindrical shape and goes in between the block and the back of the tensioner. It may be kinked or squashed, which could affect the oil flow.
View attachment 206814 View attachment 206815
Yes the tensioner mechanis was released. The filter shown on your diagram was short in the new tensioner, I had to re-fit the old one. I'll have to check again if all was done well

Edmund.
The tensioner would have been locked from the factory. Keep it in a locked position until assembled then release. [see Dano's post] Oil pressure then takes over. As for failing oil pump, very unlikely, it is a Peugeot after all !
DONT release the tensioner before assembly, impossible to re-assemble ! Oh, what is the condition of the chain ?

! Oh, what is the condition of the chain ?

Very good point Wildebeest! Also look at the rubbing blocks on the inside of the housing. I have seen them worn, after having a stretched semi tensioned chain flapping around inside.