404 radiator size

Edmund

Fellow Frogger
Hi fellas, can I get away with fitting a smaller radiator on my 404 1800? By smaller I'm referring to the regular one used on 404s(1600). Just to be clear, we had limited edition 1800 404s in South Africa with the wider 504 radiator. Problem is my 404 is automatic and when one is having battery issues I cannot crank it with the hand crank due to the radiator blocking the crank hole. If the smaller radiator will cool the 1800 just fine then I will go for it and I will need to get someone who can make me a hand crank, it's imperative to have this in an automatic car I believe. Please advise.

If you get a copper cored one you will be OK. In France the copper cored ones were only fitted to the Injection models.

Hi fellas, can I get away with fitting a smaller radiator on my 404 1800? By smaller I'm referring to the regular one used on 404s(1600). Just to be clear, we had limited edition 1800 404s in South Africa with the wider 504 radiator. Problem is my 404 is automatic and when one is having battery issues I cannot crank it with the hand crank due to the radiator blocking the crank hole. If the smaller radiator will cool the 1800 just fine then I will go for it and I will need to get someone who can make me a hand crank, it's imperative to have this in an automatic car I believe. Please advise.
Hello Edmund, I had run my 404 with it's original size radiator with a 504, then 505 2L. motor for 30 years with zero overheating problems. Just make sure all internal parts the cooling system are clean, heater included, and Thermo fan is operating well. Crank handle quite easy for the right person to make.

Attachments

• 404L41.JPG
    404L41.JPG
    127.7 KB · Views: 140
  • 404L42.JPG
    404L42.JPG
    126.1 KB · Views: 140
504 radiators are extremely hard to properly fit to a 404 and the fan is way too close anyway.. Would be better to
fit a cross flow 505 one.

504 radiators are extremely hard to properly fit to a 404 and the fan is way too close anyway.. Would be better to
fit a cross flow 505 one.
Peugeot SA fitted 504 radiators on the local factory 1800s successfully but they don't have that plastic bit from behind, I suppose that's the real hinderance and the brackets that hold it down were moved positioned in the right place to fit nicely on a 404.

I dont know what your battery issues are but a new good quality battery would solve the problems
Fortunately I sorted it out, the alternator had some dirt by the connections, battery is fine. I do need a hand crank though, the fact that ine can't push start an automatic remains a disadvantage during emergencies therefore I will opt for the smaller radiator. I'm glad to learn that it works just fine.

Peugeot SA fitted 504 radiators on the local factory 1800s successfully but they don't have that plastic bit from behind, I suppose that's the real hinderance and the brackets that hold it down were moved positioned in the right place to fit nicely on a 404.

Yes, the brackets are the hard part. Plastic piece only on the later 504s.

Yes, the brackets are the hard part. Plastic piece only on the later 504s.