404 Overhaul

marty 404

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
Well I feel like I have finally made progress after painting the engine bay I cleaned up the motor and pulled off the water pump to replace only to find a welch plug floating around a phone call to Peugeot Tech pointed me in the right direction I was able to get one locally and fit it with out drama. With the engine and gearbox bolted together it was easy to drop into the car when lifting with the back of the engine pointing down I noticed that oil had leaked out from the rear seal I will drive the car and keep an eye on this as I want to see if the diff and clutch are smooth worst case is I will have to pull the motor out. Back to paint and panel first strip and repair the doors with 1 full skin and 1 half skin welded on and painting inside then the fun job of bolting it all on then fairing and gloss paint unfortunately I can only score myself 6 out of ten for this. I had the drums machined and all the shoes relined for $154.00 which I thought was very good It was nice to ring a IMG_0468.jpgIMG_0475.jpgIMG_0484.jpgIMG_0488.jpgIMG_0489.jpgIMG_0486.jpgIMG_0471.jpg brake business and say you had 3 stud wheels and hear the reply ''they must be off a Peugeot 404. I like the ambitious speed conversions a previous owner.

Marty well done on your job so far.... must say am very impressed....my shed is crammed to the gunnels with 404 bits if you get stuck.

Hi Pugsley fits thanks for post I have all the major parts most new its just a matter of putting it all together bleeding the brakes and fine tuning and the interior, I do need some minor bits which are most likely parts that wear out first on most of these cars such as the square rear reflectors and missing light covers in the dash for the indictors and the lower right side warning light I will have to look this up in the owners manual to see what its for. Thanks Marty

Hi what differential oil is recommended for the 404 worm gear diff that is currently available, my owners manual lists oils that where available in 1968 but not easy to find now I bought some Penrite hypoid 140 but have been advised that this may not be suitable Penrite list mild ep gear oil as there recommendation has any one used this oil.

Hi what differential oil is recommended for the 404 worm gear diff that is currently available, my owners manual lists oils that where available in 1968 but not easy to find now I bought some Penrite hypoid 140 but have been advised that this may not be suitable Penrite list mild ep gear oil as there recommendation has any one used this oil.

Don't use EP oils the addatives corrode the bronze crown wheel. Keep hunting until you find the correct vegitable based oil...Good luck because i need some too down the track...

Thanks for reply's I will search some more failing that I will order some mild ep oil so I can drive the car [in car park only ]over Christmas

It,s alive it drives changes gears and brakes the unassisted drum brakes feel quite heavy and grabby hopefully they will have a better feel when bedded in. The motor runs well when cold but as it warms up it gets rougher until it stop,IMG_0499.jpgIMG_0500.jpgIMG_0501.jpgIMG_0502.jpg after 10 mins it will start easily, it has a new chinese copy carb a new coil new plugs old condenser old fuel pump which appears to work properly ,I have left the ignition on for periods while the electrics are being sorted out I do not know if this could affect the coil.????

What a beauty. It always seemed that green was the best ideal 404 color.

Such fond memories.
My wife and i had many happy times in a 404 just like that, before we were married.

One of the very best cars I have ever owned.

My advice is to take it out for a drive and work the foot brakes Hard a half dozen times - once you can smelll them thats enuf.

Do it in a safe place like on a dry empty highway - but don't ride them or lock them up / flat spot the tires :)
That will rebed the shoes and give you proper faith in the 404's emergency stopping power.

The brakes will be truly great after you do that & possibly redjust the shoes.
Also 3 stud wheels require the nuts torquing down so the brake drum doesnt distort.
IIRC 90 FtLb?, others will know better, or check the manual. It's important.

The test for the coil is whether it heats up when its in use. If its buggered it gets hot. Just put your hand on it after the cars been running. If you cant keep it there, and the engine is not red hot (coil is mounted on the block, yes?) its time for a new coil.

Anyway, great job & Just my 2d experience
DaveB

PS, If you are coming down the New England Hiway PM me & drop in.
I have worm diff oil to share, as had to buy a large drum for my 203s.

Last edited:
Thanks for replies the coil does get to hot to hold and its mounted away from the engine on the alternator arm. I will try this on the weekend.

Hi I have been refitting the interior and making new door cards from 3mm mdf sealed with epoxy resin and pre bent to make them easy to fit I carefully removed the old vinyl used the rotten old cards for patens then glued and stapled the vinyl back on. I was able to buy clips from Rare Spares that fit properly ,I had new clear door pockets made IMG_0548.jpgIMG_0551.jpgIMG_0553.jpgIMG_0566.jpg

Marty,
If and when you check the condition of the bronze crown wheel you notice that the teeth have a flaking appearance, don't be alarmed, it may be noisey but 404 owners say its a "friendly noise". Just use the correct oil and it will last the life of the car.:)

Thanks for comments ,what is the best way to clean out the fuel tank the car will only run for 15 mins before the fuel line gets blocked at the tank ? and the 404 tank only have a small opening.

Thanks for comments ,what is the best way to clean out the fuel tank the car will only run for 15 mins before the fuel line gets blocked at the tank ? and the 404 tank only have a small opening.

Marty,
Fortunately the 404 has a small drain plug at the bottom of the tank. If the contents of the tank contain water, after draining old fuel etc add a bottle of methylated spirits to the tank, slosh around by rocking the car side to side. After this treatment drain the tank observing the contents. If dirty looking carry out the above again.
If successful add petrol, [will mix wih any left over metho]. Replace the fuel filter, install this on the suction side of the pump.
:cheers: