404 engine tuning

The front fenders of the ZA versions weren't as peaked though or so I was told...so the "rest of the world" 404 headlight rings could look very strange. That said, the photos seem to show European style front fenders/guards. Hmmm....

I once ran 180 HR 15s on a 404C with stock 4.5" rims and they did kiss the lower spring cup occasionally. That was only 1.5 centimetres, split evenly between inside and outside.

Gerhard, welcome.

Firstly I would be remiss if I didn't ask you what the serial number of this beauty is, so I can add it to the register.

Next, I am in agreement with the "keep it looking stock" crowd. That said, it is possible to make small upgrades that do not alter the look of the car but nevertheless will make it a little quicker.

Best of luck with the car.
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the welcome...

I'll send a photo of the plates as soon as possible, please do elaborate on upgrades as implied in your message?

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the welcome...

I'll send a photo of the plates as soon as possible, please do elaborate on upgrades as implied in your message?
74ce7d87de5a6bcec973fa1bde3687e1.jpg

True. Our fenders were not so peaky therefore the original Deucellier rings and headlights would look very clumsy on a post-'73 SA 404. Actually Mike, these are not Euro style fenders, it's the later SA style....more especially since this is a GL model, GL's were introduced in 1974. The last time we had the Euro fenders on our 404s was some time in 1973.