404 engine rebuild or...?

Cookiemonster

Tadpole
Hello all, 1970 NZ assembled sedan in tidy condition that looks like now needs engine rebuild as oil fouling 2 of the spark plugs. Not burning oil or using too much. Ideas of cost to rebuild in NZ or should I just grab one from a wreck or go the 504 change out route? Can do engine swap at home, can’t do rebuild at home as that’s too hard for me. Or...just pop hotter plugs in and live with it?

If it's late model car ie 68,69, 70, with a BA7 gearbox I'd go the 2L engine from a 504 or early 505 route.

Rebuilding XN engines properly is an expensive exercise.

The caveat is, do you want to keep the car completely original ?

I'd suggest fitting the donor cars radiator to your 404 as well.

The best replacement would be a 1.8 504 motor but a 2litre will also work but the 404 gearing means you are running at fairly high revs /fuel consumpsion with more power.

An 1800 engine would be ideal.

But they are as rare as rocking horse poop in good condition. FWIW piston liner sets are expensive. And the valve train is usually stuffed because 1800 engines like to rev.

I fully reconditioned an 1800 engine 5 or 6 years and it cost close $2k in machining and parts. Including hard seats in the head.

I wouldn't do again: I'd fit a 2L motor next time.

If replacing the engine try to ascertain that replacement is in good serviceable condition. Many 504 engines are now getting 'long in the tooth' with advanced electrolysis of the cylinder head.

The 1.6/ 1.8 is a smoother motor than the 2 litre

Bon Chance

Thank you everyone, since then the fuel pump died while away for romantic weekend. New pump sourced from Franzose but now we are getting no spark so the dizzy looks like a fault as well. Luckily died in a country town with old school mechanics.