404 bonnet emblem

Gilow

Fellow Frogger
Hi all,

Happy to report the lad has his P plates and is now officially driving the 404 (Aimee). We did a quick and dirty respray and she came up well, but in the process we discovered that the 404 emblem on the bonnet was (a) broken into three separated pieces, (b) attached to the car mainly with rust.

I see we can purchase a new 404 badge from Franzose, but it's well out of the lad's budget for now (though he has also landed a job to go with his P's).

So, two questions:

1) any clever suggestions for gluing the badge back together? (araldite was total failure)
2) a local source of the little plastic sockets that keep the emblems on? I see them on Franzose, but the postage would be more than the sockets themselves I suspect.

Matt

Attachments

• !cid_54689467656315526181152.jpg
    !cid_54689467656315526181152.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 150
Two pieces is more common, ('4-0' and '4') with the cover plate for the bonnet catch missing altogether. I have deleted the badge and filled in the holes on two cars, and successfully glued the bits onto the bonnet of another with araldite. I've thought about putting the bits together on a block of wood and making a plaster mold to cast a brass '404' but never got around to that.

It's a really good idea to hose the front of the bonnet full of corrosion inhibitor (fishoilene etc) but put something over the front of the car to catch the drips!

I might have a few two piece versions around.

Two pieces is more common, ('4-0' and '4') with the cover plate for the bonnet catch missing altogether. I have deleted the badge and filled in the holes on two cars, and successfully glued the bits onto the bonnet of another with araldite. I've thought about putting the bits together on a block of wood and making a plaster mold to cast a brass '404' but never got around to that.

It's a really good idea to hose the front of the bonnet full of corrosion inhibitor (fishoilene etc) but put something over the front of the car to catch the drips!

I might have a few two piece versions around.

Well, as they say, "In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king!". Your two piece is better than our three piece ensemble. Thankfully, the cover plate is still there. I was considering gluing the whole lot to a piece of galvanised tin after painting it the same colour as the car.... hadn't considered casting my own... that's getting serious. But at least they can be purchased, only four hours labour at his job, after tax, as I explained to my son.

1) any clever suggestions for gluing the badge back together? (araldite was total failure)
2) a local source of the little plastic sockets that keep the emblems on? I see them on Franzose, but the postage would be more than the sockets themselves I suspect.
Araldite is a good epoxy for interior non-structural applications, but you'll need something stronger/harder/more environmentally resistant.

The easy to obtain J-B Weld or Loctite Epoxy Weld, would be a big step up as they are specific for metal adhesion. With proper surface prep they are very strong as shown here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM4IGweHT2k

Or you can go for thermally setting glues such as 3M 2214, Permabond ES550, or MG chemicals 9310 which set like metal. All of these can be used to embed fasteners into objects, so you can replace the pins and clips with nuts and bolts. But once you see the price on those it won't make sense for a one off job, just buy a bonnet badge from eBay etc.

Araldite is a good epoxy for interior non-structural applications, but you'll need something stronger/harder/more environmentally resistant.

The easy to obtain J-B Weld or Loctite Epoxy Weld, would be a big step up as they are specific for metal adhesion. With proper surface prep they are very strong as shown here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM4IGweHT2k

Or you can go for thermally setting glues such as 3M 2214, Permabond ES550, or MG chemicals 9310 which set like metal. All of these can be used to embed fasteners into objects, so you can replace the pins and clips with nuts and bolts. But once you see the price on those it won't make sense for a one off job, just buy a bonnet badge from eBay etc.

Thank you, good advice all around.

I can sell you a good badge and the blanking plate if youwant and probably have the plastic inserts also.