403 Semaphores

SteveSal

Fellow Frogger
I made an interesting observation while watching more pay TV than usual over the weekend. In the show they restored and modified a split window Kombi. At the end when all the enthusiasts were admiring the vehicle it was demonstrated to still have its original semaphore indicators. To my surprise they look just like the 403 faded lens ones I have.

A quick google and the semaphores were fitted 1955 to 1959. They look remarkably like the 403.

Before I try and find one to compare dimensions I thought someone may be aware if this is possible. The 403 is different to the 203, and only lasted a short time. I am hoping I can solve another little part to be sure when I conclude my 1955 403 it is as original as possible.

Anyone know the answer?

Cheers

The semaphore trafficators fitted to the early 403 were either Klaxon (square edged lens) or Ducellier (more rounded lens). They should have two terminals to accommodate the dash tell-tale and six volt festoon bulbs to compensate for the subsequent voltage drop. The part numbers are 6302.14 (Klaxon 143-P3R) and 6302.13 (Ducellier 742-A1).

Early VWs had Bosch semaphores which are substantially shorter than the French Klaxon and Ducellier variety.

Modern idiot drivers are not attentive enough to notice a semaphore indicator ( they have enough trouble recognising a flasher )

What one can get is a kit which converts the bulb in the semaphore arm to an auto flashing LED, which gives one more of a sporting chance, without changing external originality

I don't have the link immediately to hand but will see whether I can find it

Might be helpful in keeping both safe and original

Best WIshes

Andrew

Reminds me of the day I drove home with a dud flasher unit, so had to make hand signals, just as I was taught and tested for long ago. I got hooted constantly.

Tell me about it! I use hand signals in this all the time. They think I'm drying my nail polish. 1 Jan 7.jpg