403 just arrived.

David Cavanagh

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
I've just picked up this 403 and wondering if anyone knows it or it's history. It has an Aussiefrog sticker on the rear window so someone here must know it.

Normally us at French Connection wouldn't touch anything this old but as I have a restored 403 this will be very useful for parts, it was wide rims, front disc brakes and a brake booster so someone has been fiddling.

The previous owner took it to a workshop just round the corner to get it running but when they inspected it they found serious rust problems in the floor and rails (probably nothing for us seriously committed people but killed it for him).

To me it has a perfect steering wheel center that I've been chasing for years and the upgraded wheels and brakes will make old Norman even sweeter to drive.

It's an interesting car, be ashame to wreck it but it holds some wonderful parts.

Attachments

• 403 1.jpg
    403 1.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 281
  • 403 2.jpg
    403 2.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 253
  • 403 3.jpg
    403 3.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 237
  • 403 4.jpg
    403 4.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 246
  • 403 5.jpg
    403 5.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 227
  • 403 6.jpg
    403 6.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 244
  • 403 7.jpg
    403 7.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 225
  • 403 8.jpg
    403 8.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 244
The Bianchi Brothers sticker tells me that it originally came from or was serviced in South Australia.

They worked on my first R16 many, many years ago.

Yes, it is a shame to wreck it. On the other hand, Peugeots are a niche interest and it may be hard to find someone who wants to sort out the rust, etc.

The stainless bumpers and lack of the extra ( ugly ! ) stainless trims along the side indicate a French import. Dave , are you keeping the bumpers ?

The stainless bumpers and lack of the extra ( ugly ! ) stainless trims along the side indicate a French import. Dave , are you keeping the bumpers ?

It's an early car (56 I'm guessing) Norman is a 59 model and the bumpers are different so not sure what to do with them yet.

Attachments

• Norman.jpg
    Norman.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 188
Dave , if you take all of the bumper mounting hardware off with the bumpers , you can swap over to a later model and if the stainless only need a polish - much much cheaper than a rechrome job and even if a few minor dents in the stainless ,knocking dents out will be much cheaper than rechrome.

I've just picked up this 403 and wondering if anyone knows it or it's history. It has an Aussiefrog sticker on the rear window so someone here must know it.

Normally us at French Connection wouldn't touch anything this old but as I have a restored 403 this will be very useful for parts, it was wide rims, front disc brakes and a brake booster so someone has been fiddling.

The previous owner took it to a workshop just round the corner to get it running but when they inspected it they found serious rust problems in the floor and rails (probably nothing for us seriously committed people but killed it for him).

To me it has a perfect steering wheel center that I've been chasing for years and the upgraded wheels and brakes will make old Norman even sweeter to drive.

It's an interesting car, be ashame to wreck it but it holds some wonderful parts.[/QUOTE]

Dave,

All good things come to those who wait (Horn rim).

Cheers,

Dano

Hi David,
That was my 403, it was advertised here and in Just Cars a few months back . I hope it is not wrecked from a sentimental perspective but it may be a job too big to restore. Let me know if you require more information on the car.

I used to know this car and it's owner about 35 years ago. I believe that it was imported from South Africa hence the French style bumpers and wheel caps. I know someone who would be interested in the bumpers.
cheers, Don

Hi David,
That was my 403, it was advertised here and in Just Cars a few months back . I hope it is not wrecked from a sentimental perspective but it may be a job too big to restore. Let me know if you require more information on the car.

Thanks Robey I was hoping someone would know it.
Did you do the brakes? I'll be using them on my 403. If anyone wants to save it after I've got what I want they can have it. I'll put all my old parts back on it so it's movable.

Hi David,

Robey I was wondering about the master cylinder. Is it standard or has that been up rated too (Poss 404)